cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Great and all as it is to hear how we use Dropbox, we want to know how you use it! Day to day, big projects, sharing files with friends and family - we want to know about it.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dropbox whole D : drive without changing the path name

dropbox whole D : drive without changing the path name

kast
Explorer | Level 3

Dear community,

Situation:

I have PC and iPad.

I want easier file tranfer between these two so I purchased Dropbox.

On PC I use structure of folders on drive D : for my work data. I organized them for many years in specific way. Each project has own folder with 3D files in it, but these 3D files has linked mapping files (pictures) and plugins from one central folder. So I need to use dropbox and keep those paths unchanged. 

Problem:

Dropbox force me to use structure D:\Drobpox\Projects and I need my old D:\Projects.

If I want to use backup option it allows me to backup only common folders from Windows system on C: drive.

I didn't expect this problem when purchase. It is not written anywhere.

Did someone solved this problem in alternative way?

Thanks for hepl!

Have a good day

Kamil

4 Replies 4

Re: dropbox whole D : drive without changing the path name

Megan
Dropboxer
Hey @kast, thank you for posting your question here! 

A path is required when you install the Dropbox app, in order for the folder to be saved there. You can, however, modify the location of the folder at any time.

As for the backup option, do you refer to our computer backup feature? Can you clarify it?

Let me know more. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

kast
Explorer | Level 3

Hey LorI,

thanks for reply. Yeah, I checked the option to move the folder in desktop app/preferences/sync but it will "only" move the dropbox folder (with its subfolders) into new place.

I need the whole D : drive to be the "dropbox" with my existing subfolder system like D:\work\project01.

I worry that this is not possible because the dropbox system needs the folder structure beginning like D:\dropbox\work\project01. Am I right?

Did I clarify it a bit better?

The reason why I need this is: If I move all my work into dropbox folder, all the link to maps which I have in 3D files will be lost and I will be forced to redo all these links in all my projects. And it will take me unreasonable amount of time.

There is the second option like backup files. But I am not able to select any folder I want. I can select only those  six or seven (pictures, downloads, etc. ) as you know. But maybe there is some way, how to "hack" the system to allow me backup whole drive D :. It would be also option for me, in case I can manage my files from iPad after.

Thank you so much for any help.

Have a nice day

Kamil

Megan
Dropboxer
You did a great job clarifying, Kamil! 

Both of your ideas sound great, but they're not possible for the time being. 

As you correctly mentioned, the way the app works needs the current structure you mentioned above. 

The same thing for the Computer Backup feature. The way it operates right now, is to allow you to backup those certain folders.

However there's this future idea, in our "Share an idea" section, that describes what you mentioned. 

You might want to take a look, and upvote it if you feel like @kast.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

kast
Explorer | Level 3
Hey @Megan
thanks for comment.
I hope it will be possible quite soon so I can purchase dropbox again and enjoy working ecosystem.

Have a great day
Kamil
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kast Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?