cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Whatā€™s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

got popup window about updating dropbox backup.

got popup window about updating dropbox backup.

KathieKathy
Explorer | Level 3

I got a popup window about updating dropbox backup. Why? Is this scam to get my info? Is it necessary? Asking for more info led me to the page "How to update Dropbox Backup" and I don't understand what is explained on the page. Currently, whenever I change a document in dropbox, all of the documents change wherever I access them. Can someone explain?

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @KathieKathy - thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to our Community!

Could you send us a couple of screenshots of what you described so that we can have a visual too?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

KathieKathy
Explorer | Level 3

Walter thanks for responding. The popup window disappeared after I kept moving it around the desktop to try to set it to the side. It only had a green button at top left, not a red or yellow. Anyway, it directed me to this webpage if I wanted to know more. The popup gave me a choice to update dropbox backup or to 'learn more'... here's the website where I was sent to 'learn more.' I'm pretty tech savvy and I can't follow what it's all about. https://help.dropbox.com/organize/dropbox-backup

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @KathieKathy, this is a legit pop-up, regarding an update of the Dropbox backup feature.

In the article you were redirected, you can see what comes with the update and what will be different to your current experience with Backup.

If you want to perform this update, you can follow the steps in the article.

I hope this helps.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KathieKathy
Explorer | Level 3

Hannah, thanks for attesting to the legitimacy. I did read through the page the link took me to and I honestly couldn't make sense of it. I couldn't tell what would be different from how it is now. I believe (I have Apple products) that whatever I do not (ie change something in a spreadsheet) does stay changed if I access dropbox from either of my laptops or from my iPhone. I think in the past it did work with Time Machine. What are the differences? I really couldn't understand.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @KathieKathy, the Dropbox Backup feature is different to the normal syncing process of the Dropbox folder. Do you have Dropbox Backup enabled on your device?

You can check if there are any active backups on this page.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

KathieKathy
Explorer | Level 3

Jay, thank you. I am so confused. I went to the page you showed a link to. There is one backup from  5:45 pm yesterday, the 8th of April. It's the only backup. I don't know how the new backup system is different from the syncing. Is it a backup to an external drive? Or supposed to be backed up to an external drive? I'm usually good with technology. I don't know why I'm stumped by this.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @KathieKathy, computer Backup lets you back up certain key folders, such as ā€œDesktopā€, ā€œDocumentsā€ and ā€œDownloadsā€ to Dropbox. Any changes you make to those folders on your computer or in Dropbox will continuously sync to both.

Please see our Help Center page for more.

On the other hand, there's also the External Drive backup feature that allows you to back up an external hard drive directly to your Dropbox account on dropbox.com, without the need to store it on your computer. 

The external Drive backup will be uploaded, to a folder named ā€œ[Name of your external drive]ā€.

You will find this folder on the Dropbox website, and if you double click the Dropbox backup link in the desktop app, this will automatically open your backup folder on the Dropbox website too.

I hope this helps! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

bionjf
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem, using a Macbook.  The pop-up window appeared, and cannot be closed - none of the coloured buttons top left are active, so the window is blocking my screen.  The only options are update now, or on start-up.  There is no indication that this is a valid intrusion from Dropbox.  Because of this community exchange, I accepted the update (which then produc es another confusing message about disabling the update).  Please could you improve this for Mac users?  Thank you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bionjf New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    KathieKathy Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?