cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Sorry we couldn't find File ABC" upon cut/paste to different folder

"Sorry we couldn't find File ABC" upon cut/paste to different folder

Julie E.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I use Dropbox desktop and this appears to sync fine.  However I am encountering an issue when I move a file.

For example, if I move a file into a different folder, and then try to re-open the file, I commonly get an error message "Sorry, we couldn't find FILE ABC.  Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted?"  

Yes I have moved the file but it won't open.  However if I copy/paste the document back into its original location, the document opens fine.  Likewise, if I open dropbox.com, the file is stored in its new location and opens fine.

Please advise.

15 Replies 15

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

rmq67 wrote:

Please find an expert to resolve this problem with Dropbox!!

As Richard stated previously in this thread, this is likely an Excel or operating system issue. Dropbox does not handle the opening of local files, or the moving/copying of them. Dropbox is just a folder on your computer like any other.

It might be worth making sure that the files have fully synced after you move them, and before attempting to open them. If they're still syncing, it's possible that there's still a file lock on them which could prevent them from being opened (also a function of your operating system).

litoviera
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I ran into this issue becuase my file paths were too long. Moving the file to the Desktop (or somewhere that reduces file path) allows for normal operation. The problem is with the Operating System, not Dropbox. While this work around is somewhat satisfactory, I can't fathom how it's acceptable to  even have limits on file paths.

seanmab
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I and our staff experienced this on many files after we recently migrated to a new file structure that utilizes more subfolders for better organization (folders inside of folders inside of folders). For me (and likely everyone) it is an issue of too long of a file name (as others have mentioned).

In Windows, the max file name length is 255 characters. Seems like a lot, but the file name includes the full file path (c:\users\obama\dropbox\folder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\really_long_file_name.xls). Shorten the file name in a way that still retains it's essence and try to reopen. If that doesnt work, move the file to one of it's parent folders and then try to open it. Hope this helps. 

nmg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I cut the number of characters for my file name and that worked. I agree the folder path and file title length were the issue for me.

OferL
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

roThis is absolutly not an excel issue, bur rather a drop box issue.

a. the problem does not happens when the file is on my desktop

b. I share the file with someone, he has no problem of accessing the file. 

This is supper scary. I am seriously considring to check out of dropbox.. I have now have this probelm in the 2nd file/folder - I am really afraid that I have this problem in other files as well...

I realize no one has an answer to it...

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The issue you're experiencing may be due to a limitation of the applications that you're using to open or save the files in question @OferL - this is something compeletely out of our control. In short, there are files that your applications can't process correctly because they have file paths that are too long. 

This behavior is present if there are more than 255 characters in the entire file path. This means from the C:\ all the way to the extension of a file.

As an example if you had a test.txt file in your Dropbox that had the following path:

C:\Users\OferL\My Documents\Dropbox\test.txt

This file would have a path that is 47 characters long while if you moved the same file to your desktop directly as you mentioned you'd be immediately reducing its filepath to fewer characters as it would result to something like: 

C:\Users\OferL\test.txt

Based on your example now, when you move this copy to your desktop as you said, you're immediately reducing the number of characters on the filepath and this is why you're able to open it without issues.  

Keep in mind that our desktop application can read and write to locations that are longer than 255 characters, which means that files will sync to and from those locations, however, the applications used to open or save said files (e.g. Word, Notepad, Excel, Etc.) might not support reading from or writing to these locations with long file paths and may show error messages when trying to open, save or edit them. This is out of our control since the application developers would have to add support for long paths to resolve the issue.

You should be able to resolve the issues with your applications processing these files by simply renaming the file to a shorter name, renaming a folder to a shorter name, or reducing the number of sub-folders.

I hope this clarify matters to you and please let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?