cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Backed up files/folders can no longer be shared

Backed up files/folders can no longer be shared

wuthelotus
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I'm using Dropbox on a Mac with Monterey. I have everything backed up to Dropbox & until today I was able to share files & folders simply by clicking on "copy Dropbox link". Today this feature is no longer available. I've tried sharing from the Dropbox website & there is no sharing option there either. I've noticed that backed up files now have their own category & apparently sharing doesn't work there.

Can you help me figure this out, please? The backup option was the main reason why I was using Dropbox in the first place, so this is kind of a dealbreaker for me.

Thanks,

Alina

20 Replies 20

wuthelotus
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the suggestion, it's worth a try 🙂 

JordiPu
New member | Level 2

Nobody has asked for an extra Dropbox Backup folder. This is ridiculous. 

Come back to original and agreed terms of contract with Pro plans. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone, I hope you're doing well!

Keep in mind that our Dropbox Backup product is designed to protect the content of your device. As a result we prevent sharing so you don’t accidentally give access to your sensitive content. Backup is not designed for collaboration, unfortunately.

If you need to share content, you can continue using our file sharing services within Dropbox, outside of the backup content. 

Give me a shout if you need anything else. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

danbett
Helpful | Level 7
Hi Megan.

That is such a patronising statement I don’t know what to say…you have obviously not listened to what people have asked and are treating your clientele like children. If you are going to reply, please could you give us more than that.

I hope to hear something more professional and helpful from your firm. Please would you at least provide details for escalating this issue to someone who may be able to genuinely help

Regards

Dan B

wuthelotus
Helpful | Level 6

Talking to Dropbox customer "support" is pretty much like talking to a wall, I've come to learn. They seem to be perfectly ok with taking our money for a feature change we didn't ask for and weren't even informed of. I doubt even a tiny startup would ever pull something like this with no warning whatsoever. And their replies are simply copy-paste at this point. I hope you like losing customers, Dropbox, because this is beyond insulting.

Maxbee
Helpful | Level 6

I am really disappointed by Dropboxs reply. I thought they actually cared about their (paying) customers.

How on earth can you just silently disable a feature without further notice, because they want to "protect" us from ourself.

A feature that WORKED before and a feature that is an important part of our routines.

How can you just tacitly remove this option, leaving us puzzled und annoyed, thinking it is a bug.

How can you just ignore our wishes to give back WHAT WE ALREADY HAD, maybe with an option to actively switch it on if wanted. So many ideas how to properly do this but they just choose to belittle us and threat us like silly little toddlers

Helpful | Level 5

What a joke that dropbox has disabled the sharing feature inside backup with no prior warning. They should at least make an option to turn it back on if a User decides they are fine with risking their 'privacy' when sharing links. This was one of the main reasons I use this service, and I don't see how sharing from the backup folder differs in privacy concerns from being able to share from the non backup dropbox folder. 

Maxbee
Helpful | Level 6

Yeah, me neither! Because one hast do ACTIVELY copy the sharing link and actually share it.

Or send the sharing option via Dropbox. How can this happen by accident???

What a stupid explanation to disable this important feature without an option to switch it back on.

Helpful | Level 5

So now.. If i want to share a file I have already synced to my backup.. I have to go into dropbox, Reupload it in the dropbox cloud service folder and then share the link. Doubling the storage used and completely removing the efficiency of the service.. what the???

wuthelotus
Helpful | Level 6

Exactly, this was the main reason I decided to stick with Dropbox. My most used feature for sure. They have just completely disrupted my workflow & their "defense" is laughable at best.

Need more support?