cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera Upload strips location data

Camera Upload strips location data

Skipper26
Explorer | Level 3

I'm using Android version 8.1 on a Nexus 5X and the latest Dropbox app. I've got Camera Uploads enabled and it's working nicely.

However the files in my Dropbox don't have the location data attached to them (the GPS data in the EXIF).

The files on my phone have the location data, but once they're in my Dropbox they don't.

On my iPhone Camera Upload works and preserves the location without problems.

Any tips as to why it might be losing it from the Android?

28 Replies 28

Skipper26
Explorer | Level 3

I've just done another test - if I bluetooth the photo from the Android to the iPhone and then let Dropbox on the iPhone upload it - the GPS data is there.

So I'm pretty sure it's Dropbox losing it. I can't find any settings within the app to enable/disable or change the setting.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Skipper26, thanks for posting to our Community!

Is this the first time that you are missing location data when uploading files automatically from your Android?

Also, what is the app version of Dropbox on your phone and the version of the OS you’re using?

If you manually upload the files to the app from your Android, can you see their location data perhaps?

Keep me posted!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Skipper26
Explorer | Level 3

Yes it's the first time we're having problems, but it's also a newly setup device and a newly setup Dropbox - so it's also never worked before.

Dropbox Version 254.2.2

Android is still 8.1

If I upload a photo via the + icon in Dropbox and then download it through the browser the GPS data is OK.

The same photo synced to my desktop via the app does not have the GPS data.

Ah! I think the problem may be Smart Sync!

I've just tried converting the Camera Uploads folder to "Local" not "Online Only" and the data appears to be there.

Is there a way to get Smart Sync to work with Exif data? (and, more worryingly, is there a chance that using Smart Sync puts EXIF data at risk if a file is modified)

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Skipper26, online-only files do not contain any data on them, as they are a placeholder file, and this would be the same for any file that is online-only.

This would mean that there's no EXIF data on them, until the file is opened locally, or marked as local.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Skipper26
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the clarification Jay!

The files don't seem to have the EXIF data even after I've loaded them, however. Only setting the parent folder to "Local" seems to work. I've not tried making one individual file "Local" (rather than just loading it).

Should the EXIF data be available after loading too, or only when smart-sync is disabled for that file/directory?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
When you load a file, by opening an online-only file, it will always make the file local to view it on the machine.

Once it's local, you should be able to view the EXIF data since the full file is on the computer.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Skipper26
Explorer | Level 3

Just a note: I cannot see the EXIF data on the "Online Only" file after I've loaded it.

That's probably not a problem for me though, thanks for the advice above - I'll have a play next time I'm working on this project.

merlin-eng
Explorer | Level 3

I've always had this problem.

I'm trying to locate an area in France where I took a photo - but once I open the online only file (using explorer) and it dowloads, the GPS data is gone.

😞

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @merlin-eng, happy Monday! 

How did you upload the files initially? Did you also use the camera uploads feature, as the OP mentioned above? 

If so, when you open your Dropbox app on your phone, and check for info there, are you able to see the correct location?

Let me know more!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

merlin-eng Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?