cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common Mount Point of Files for all users in a team

Common Mount Point of Files for all users in a team

Bluebicycle
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

On Mac OS is it possible for all members of a team to have the same mount point with Finder integration so that the absolute paths are the same for everyone?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Currently, it should be technically possible to do what you're doing, however, it would require you to manually change all the local drives to be the same, and configure the Dropbox desktop application to move the Dropbox folder to those specific locations.

Even when doing so, there may still be unexpected events that could change the location of the Dropbox folder. My advice would be to take caution when making these changes.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Bluebicycle, how are you today? 

Can you share a bit more as to what you'd like to achieve here, so I can help as much as possible? 

It's important to note, that if you're on a Business team, all the members have their own content too. Which means that they would need access to those on the desktop app as well. 

Are you referring to team content? 

Let me know more!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Bluebicycle
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Yes so we are sharing Media using Apple's Final Cut Pro in a large organisation. There are a huge amount of files, but we just sync a folder for that week and then release in the following. But the media Paths to the editing application are absolute, which means that it all has to be relinked at any exchange.

The Final Cut Library Bundle is a live database so they tend to be stored locally (as otherwise they are continually syncing and contain hundreds of files). But if the paths to media it links to was constant is would be so much better.

If all members of Team had the same Dropbox mount point that would negate the need to continually relink.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @Bluebicycle 

That isnt something you can do with Dropbox natively and it would almost certainly need a rebuild of all users user accounts to make sure everybody was using the same User Account name. 

Sadly Dropbox just is not designed to work with database type programs I'm afraid for this exact reason

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Bluebicycle
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I merely thinking of the mount point, on Macs there a no drive letters, so everyone could make it the same if it weren't for the name of their own Mac right?

As I say, FCP Libraries are not on Dropbox but the media they point to is, so I was hoping it possible to make the paths the same for everyone. Eg with a locally attached drive, you would call it the same name and have the identical folder structure.

Bluebicycle
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Screenshot 2022-06-15 at 22.51.43.png

The path is volumes/ etc... Couldn't that be set up to be the same for all users?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox isnt designed to work on drive letters - if you have a one disconnect/change/delete etc. while Dropbox is open you could see a complete deletion of all data. There are (better now!) safeguards in place to stop this, but, its still not fool proof.

You could set up a specific location for each person if you manually reconfigure everybody on each device, but, that cannot be done centrally. 

But, something else to consider here is how you will manage multiple people using the same program at the same time - you'll get conflicts and that may end up with data loss. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Bluebicycle
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
I think you misunderstand. If I target my Dropbox folder to be on a locally attached drive on a Mac, no drive letters. If I call it the same thing the path to what is actually local files will be the same.

We are aware of the risks of deletion. The 180 day rule should cover that. We are simply syncing media files to each other locally. It works perfectly except that the paths to that media from the editing application are not the same.

Bluebicycle
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
But because for each user it’s essentially local storage ( but synced with the cloud), I would have thought it possible for the path to be the same

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Bluebicycle, what version of the Mac OS are you all running?

Do any of your users have the Dropbox folder stored on the ~CloudStorage folder on their device?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Bluebicycle Helpful | Level 7
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?