cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Not happy with your Spotify Wrapped? Check out how Kevin on the Dropbox team used Paper to make sure he keeps discovering new music over here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Dropbox locks files for sync for much longer as of latest updates

Re: Dropbox locks files for sync for much longer as of latest updates

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional details @Mr_and_Mrs_D!

I'll indeed make sure to keep you posted with any info I receive on this. In the meantime, please don't hesitate to get back to me here if you have any other questions or issues. I'd be happy to help out. :grin:

Hope you enjoy your week!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mr_and_Mrs_D
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

Any updates on this one? Git's index keeps being locked by DB whether I use it directly or via the IDE. Seems like everytime DB wants to upload some files locks _all_ of them?

Thanks,

G.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey again @Mr_and_Mrs_D!

No updates on this at the moment I'm afraid. I'll be sure to get back to you here should I hear anything from the team for any changes with this. 

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dropbox Locks Files

AaronCo
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I've just signed up and started using Dropbox.  I'm having quite a few issues where I am using a file, it autosaves, Dropbox then starts to sync the file, and the file then is locked and I can't do anything in it until DropBox is done syncing.

How do I correct this, for it happens quite often.

Thanks

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @AaronCo, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Just to note, I've moved your post here so when you have the time, please take a look at the posts in this thread.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

AaronCo
Helpful | Level 5

If I read everything correctly, there is no fix to this issue and it's just something we have to deal with until it is fixed.  Essentially, rememember to turn off sync and back on when working with files.  Is this correct?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @AaronCo!

To avoid any errors, the current workaround would be to pause syncing while editing/saving the files.

I hope this helps to clarify!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Phillip S.4
Helpful | Level 6

@Mr_and_Mrs_D I too have been having this issue for a while. It seems to be some weird race condition when temporary files are created and deleted rapidly. I experience weird, inconsistent errors in Adobe Premiere, Python pip, and Node.js npm. It's definitely a regression because Dropbox has never had this problem in the 10 years that I've used it. It seems to have been introduced when the "Smart Sync" feature came out. I recently tried disabling Smart Sync for my entire account but the problem persists. It's been a problem for about 8 months now, with no end in sight. I'm starting to look for the door.

Dropbox file locks are too aggressive

RichardK26
Helpful | Level 7

Dear Dropbox:

I've been using your product since 2008.  I'm very frustrated that for the last few years it has been getting steadily worse.  eg:

First you killed the public folder.

Then you introduced a bunch of bloaty features I don't want.

Then you started spamming advertising at me within the client.

And now your poor product decisions have spread to technical glitches in your core engine.  Ever since your major March 2020 rewrite, Dropbox has started causing problems in my other programs, which has made it effectively unuseable for me.

The issue is that your client software is locking files too aggressively.  It causes programs like Explorer, MS Word, etc. to complain that files are in use.  It's completely broken a tool I use for resizing graphics (VSO Image Resizer).  And it's causing weird issues with my games (e.g. I sync savegames from Kerbal Space Program, and now Quicksave silently fails about two thirds of the time I use it).

After some extensive troubleshooting I've traced all these problems to file locks held by dropbox.exe.  Your program is supposed to work silently and unobtrusively in the background, but it no longer does.

I never had any of these issues before the rewrite.  I've reproduced all of them under the latest 110.4.458.

And I'm not the first one to run into them or to document them for you.  e.g. Another technical user reported them in May:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Dropbox-locks-files-for-sync-for-much-longer-a...

...and you effectively told him "tough luck".  Your suggestion to Stop Syncing while using these programs is overly burdensome and unworkable.

I struggle to think of good reasons for Dropbox to hold aggressive locks on local files.  You should back off if you sense a file being changed rapidly, and perhaps rely on OS-integrated features like VSS if you need to access snapshots of files that are presently in use.

I'm not sure what kind of cool aid you guys are drinking but you seriously need to examine where things went wrong and get back to your roots.  You are running your company, and one of my favorite products, straight into the ground.

Re: Dropbox file locks are too aggressive

Dennis_E
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I'm a software developer in C++, C#, Python and Java.

Had the same problem for a couple of years with Dropbox.

I had the working directory in Dropbox which have randomly resulted in that a sourcefile that is being compiled have probably been locked during compilation and resulting in ZERO size of the sourcefile.

It might be that the compiler is locking the sourcefiles and Dropbox then can't read the file but it sees that it have been changed and tries to update it to the cloud and it results in an empty file space.

Dropbox is the fastest filesync application that I can find but I have stopped using it for projects and changed to Onedrive which have never had this issue for me but is almost double the time in sync.

But I would really want to get back to Dropbox if they would fix it.

Gdrive also works without issues but it is extremly slow like 8x slower then Dropbox.

I use a sync program because I mostly use 2 computers, my desktop and my Laptop.

And when I have a build version that I like then I use Git as version control and team work.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dennis_E New member | Level 2
    RichardK26 Helpful | Level 7
    Phillip S.4 Helpful | Level 6
    Daphne Dropboxer
    AaronCo Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?