cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox options don't show on right click

Dropbox options don't show on right click

Veevs
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I'm on MacOS Mojave, using Dropbox personal pro.

When I right-click certain folders on my hard disk, Dropbox options simply don't show. I cannot do smart sync, share, or any other dropbox function. 

These are folders placed in my main Mac user, so nothing tricky there. I simply don't understand why some folders do and some don't.

I've tried to relaunch the Finder as suggested in other threads, this doesn't do anything. My Dropbox app is up to date.

Can you please help me solve this, as I am trying to get on top of my syncing and backups , realising that's I've been using Dropbox wrong all these years and basically all my important folders have never been synced to Dropbox properly 😞

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox options don't show on right click

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @Veevs, thanks for posting!

Can you please confirm to me, if the files you're right clicking are within the Dropbox folder in your Finder or are you also talking about desktop files?

If you're talking about desktop files, is it possible that you haven't enabled the computer backup feature for these particular files?

To check which folders you have backed up, you can follow the steps in the above hyperlinked article.

And can you also check the sync status of your Dropbox application? You can see that by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.

Keep me updated!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Veevs
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Hannah.

I think I've got all mixed up with the older symlink method, and been thinking for a very long period of time that my local folders are being synced while they weren't.

So currently the only way to sync files automatically (=any local change to a file/folder auto-syncs to the cloud)  is to place the folder within one of the selective sync folders? (e.g. Documents)

The folders I was referring to in my question are local folder on my computer, previously synced via symlink (had an alias in Dropbox folder and auto synced for any change).

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Veevs, could you confirm if you have enabled the computer backup feature on your device?

Symlinks and aliases aren't supported with the Dropbox desktop application any longer, so for files to sync, they must be located within the Dropbox folder itself.

Keep me updated with any info.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Veevs
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, I've changed the locations of all folders on my mac and the sync settings so things work properly from now on.

Jay
Dropboxer
Glad to hear it's working now, @Veevs, If you need any further assistance in future, please let me know.

Enjoy the remainder of your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Veevs Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?