cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Great and all as it is to hear how we use Dropbox, we want to know how you use it! Day to day, big projects, sharing files with friends and family - we want to know about it.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox options via CLI?

Dropbox options via CLI?

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 9

So after a huge shakeup around here (went from a few hard drives to ~30 in a chassis) i'm going through my backup solution with a fine tooth comb and re-setting things for the long run.

one thing i currently have configured is a scheduled backup to my dropbox folder.  The problem is, the location is set to be online only as its on an SSD and every time i run the backup, it goes "not" online only.  I wish it would remember its setting and return to its designated configuration after the fact, but you know what they say about wanting in one hand.  At current this leaves me backing up a limited amount and then forcing it back to online only, waiting for it to finish uploading, then carrying on.   Cumbersome and the exact opposite of what you stand to gain via scripting/automating of backups. 

the only other alternative i was able to come up with was potentially including something in my script at the end that directed dropbox to apply the status I wanted for a given folder.

Does something like this exist?  The pessimist in me is already assuming that it does not, as having it available would then beg the question why isnt this the default behavior of designated online-only folders, or at least able to be determined via a checkbox or some such.

Anyhow, any pleasant surprises for me? 

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@klepp0906 wrote:

the only other alternative i was able to come up with was potentially including something in my script at the end that directed dropbox to apply the status I wanted for a given folder.

There is no such feature.

Dropbox is designed to function in this manner. As you access a file that's online-only, Dropbox has to download it back to your computer so you can interact with it. When your done with the file it remains local. This is because Dropbox has no idea when (or if) you're done with a file. If it were set to automatically go back to online-only, it could do so before you were done with the file, or before it was done being backed up, etc.

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 9

i mean, thats fine if its intended to function this way.  (while non ideal or at least limiting in my opinion thats irrelevant as i dont call the shots and that seems to be dropbox' thing these days, see symlinks, pc1/2/3 debacle etc).   I was just hoping that since a user can simply right click and change this, they could also change it via something like dropbox.exe /path -smartsync ON or something. 

oh well, i figured as much thank you for the reply anyhow.  looks like ill be manually intervening until i find a better way of getting things into the cloud via script. 

Need more support?