cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Provider sync done - deleting the previous DB folder

File Provider sync done - deleting the previous DB folder

dgtsf
Explorer | Level 3

I am running macOS Sonoma 14.0 and Dropbox Professional.

I moved back to Dropbox a few days ago after several months of testing the waters with iCloud. (That won't happen again -- I'm glad to be back!). When I re-installed Dropbox, it allowed me to specify where to place my Dropbox folder, so it went into /Users/username/Dropbox. I moved tens of thousands of files from Apple's iCloud folder over to the new Dropbox folder and it sync'd without a hitch. All's well at that point.

I later completed the upgrade to Dropbox's File Provider beta. It was a couple days ago as I had not previously been aware of the File Provider beta and requirements. As expected, Dropbox created a folder for syncing within /Users/username/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox, as required by Apple's API. It appears to have synchronized my folders and files to the new location.

I noticed, however, that my original folder is still there under /Users/username/Dropbox.

I am surprised it synchronized to the new location but did not delete the old one.

Is this a safety precaution in case something goes wrong? Is it safe to delete the old folder? It did not tell me that it was leaving the original folders/files in place, so I am reluctant to delete them without knowing for sure that Dropbox is no longer using that old location.

1 Reply 1

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome to our forum, @dgtsf!

It sounds like the /Users/username/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox filepath is the one that’s syncing to your web account/our servers now, instead of your old Dropbox folder. However, let’s have a look.

Did you check your Dropbox app’s syncing status to make sure it’s up to date? 

If you open your old Dropbox folder, do you see any syncing icons next to your files/folders? Does the new filepath include all of the files you had previously uploaded to Dropbox from iCloud? 

Let me know.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?