cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Dropbox goes down, how do I access my desktop files?

If Dropbox goes down, how do I access my desktop files?

Rico S
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Maybe I'm dense, but according to instructions the primary file location is Dropbox and the icons on my desktop are just shortcuts to it. So if Dropbox is down, does that mean my files are inaccessible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rico S wrote:

Maybe I'm dense, but according to instructions the primary file location is Dropbox and the icons on my desktop are just shortcuts to it. So if Dropbox is down, does that mean my files are inaccessible?

The Dropbox folder is still a local folder like any other on your computer and exists on your local hard drive. As long as your files are set to Local and not Online-only, you'll still be able to access them if you lose your connection to Dropbox. If the files are marked as Online-only, then you wouldn't be able to access them without access to the Dropbox servers.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rico S wrote:

The Dropbox folder is still a local folder like any other on your computer and exists on your local hard drive. As long as your files are set to Local and not Online-only, you'll still be able to access them if you lose your connection to Dropbox. If the files are marked as Online-only, then you wouldn't be able to access them without access to the Dropbox servers.

Rico S
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Are my files in the basic version of Dropbox Backup "local only" by default, or are they only online and I have to purchase a premium version to make them local only?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Local only is default. You have to actively make them online only etc. 

You can test it by disabling your wifi for a few seconds 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

xian1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Is it recommended to reboot and reinstall the software? How about logging in again?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @xian1, could you provide some additional information?

Are you having a specific issue that's troubling you?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    xian1 Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
    Rico S New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?