cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux: No internet connection on installation

Linux: No internet connection on installation

wzuleger
Explorer | Level 3

Currently no Dropbox installation are possible with the current linux driver 124.4.4912. Old installation can't connect to the dropbox server.

The reason is that the linux driver tries to connect a host client.dropbox.com which isn't defined in DNS any more since a few days. I investigated, that client.dropbox.com was an alias for client-env.dropbox-dns.com, which is resolved in DNS as 2620:100:6022:13::a27d:420d.

After I declared client.dropbox.com with IP 2620:100:6022:13::a27d:420d in my local /etc/hosts file everything was OK.

As the Windows client works fine till now, I assume the Linux client has been forgotten to be changed.

3 Replies 3

Re: Linux: No internet connection on installation

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @wzuleger, thanks for messaging the Community!

Is this only regarding installing the new version of the app itself via the automatic updates?

Or, are you referring to the new app not being able to sync files?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

wzuleger
Explorer | Level 3

The installed dropboxd isn't able to sync files on an existing installation.

On a new clean installation the daemon says "The computer is offline." on startup.

I don't know if the automatic update of the daemon is affected.

wzuleger
Explorer | Level 3

OK. That was new for me. 🤔

The problem was my own internet router which is working as DNS server of my local net for my provider's DNS. And this box forgot the alias client.dropbox.com. The DNS server of my provider does know that client.dropbox.com is an alias of client-env.dropbox-dns.com, but my box did forget it and didn't ask my provider's DNS server again. The funny thing is, that I have no problem with other addresses or aliases.

I rebootet my router, and now everything is OK. I never expected such a thing!

So it's not your problem and you can forget the whole thing.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wzuleger Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?