cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved Folders into OneDrive and I cannot access one of them

Moved Folders into OneDrive and I cannot access one of them

Jerry H.14
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I moved two very large directories from Dropbox folder into my OneDrive folder.

Well, I tried anyway. One folder appears to have moved everything over. The other hasn't and now many of my files on my (PC) desktop are unavailable at the old location (Dropbox folder) or the new location (OneDrive). I can see the folders visiting Dropbox online. 

One suggested fix is to uninstall Dropbox then reinstall. However, that could take well over a week and I am traveling multiple times over the next three weeks. The one time I rely on Dropbox the most and it's currently failing me.

Whenever I try to start Dropbox on my desktop it returns with a 'Dropbox failed to start' modal popup and I have been unable to restart it for over two weeks now.

DROPBOX: You MUST warn us when moving folders what the ramifications are BEFORE we do this. This is particularly painful right now since I also migrated over to Microsoft 365. Your strategy seems to be to keep us in the dark to incentivize us to never leave you. I don't do hostage well. You could do better.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Jerry H.14, thanks for coming to our Community with this.

When you move a file or folder out of the Dropbox folder, Dropbox considers this file or folder as deleted.

So, if you're able to access it online, it makes me think that it wasn't really moved out (at least properly, as you've also realized).

How large is this folder? Have you tried downloading it from the Dropbox website instead?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox does tell you this @Jerry H.14 - it gives a pop up telling you it will remove it from all devices etc. HOWEVER it only appears once if you tell it not to appear again. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jerry H.14
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Great to know. Thanks.

I'm still stuck however in that I have a huge folder caught in between OneDrive and Dropbox Online - because I cannot access files in my desktop PC Dropbox folder (which is alarming to say the least).

Any help would be appreciated!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Jerry H.14, thanks for coming to our Community with this.

When you move a file or folder out of the Dropbox folder, Dropbox considers this file or folder as deleted.

So, if you're able to access it online, it makes me think that it wasn't really moved out (at least properly, as you've also realized).

How large is this folder? Have you tried downloading it from the Dropbox website instead?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Jerry H.14
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for the response Hannah.

I ended up moving the directory from OneNote to Dropbox and within minutes Dropbox was re-indexing and returning to normal. No problems with Dropbox here (once the dust has settled... and it is as reliable as any). I'm moving large collections due to my company migrating over to OneNote so about half my files need to be moved.

You explained that if the folder is moved from DB on my PC that DB considers the folder deleted so question answered.

Thanks for the insight!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Oh, that's great to hear, Jerry, I'm happy to help!

Awesome that you were able to figure it out and everything worked out in the end.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let us know!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Jerry H.14 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?