cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Online only not working

Online only not working

Henkka
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey!

I've had a problem few weeks now. Even I've tried to put almost everything online only -mode, nothing happens in the hard drive storage. Any ideas what could be wrong? Last month everything worked like a charm.

Thanks!

17 Replies 17

bdoman
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm also having an issue wherein settings folders to Online Only seems to have no effect.  The size of my cache is very small.  Where should I be looking to see the "Up to Date" message? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @bdoman, you can see this message when you click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray/menu bar, on the bottom left.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

smoravarsi
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi! How did you resolve this problem? I am having the exact same problem. Nothing seems to work or be “live” anymore while using the desktop app. Dropbox comes offline without notice and nothing is available.
I have tried multiple times to get Dropbox to assist me and no one seems to want to assist. This is so frustrating, I’m not even sure why we pay for a service

markhutch
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have given up on Dropbox.  Nothing I ever complained about or suggested was ever actioned.

I 'fixed' my issue by moving to Sync.com.  Not necessarily better or even the best but it works, similar price for the data storage I need and, MOST importantly, when I contact support with issues or suggestions, I got a response and an acceptance for my suggestions.

smoravarsi
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It really is a pain trying to get any support from DropBox. I'm looking for another provider. I've been with this same issue for over 2 months and zero assistance and resolution. 

Cheers,

SM

iBoxS
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I checked all of the settings and the common FAQs so please don't suggest those... Obviously I tried it already. I hope someone who experienced this issue found a solution. Nothing is shared locally yet it is in that folder... If I delete the files in that folder, will it delete them from my account altogether or just from the PC and leave the online files intact? Why is this happening with such a popular service which should work without any issues? Thank you in advance.

iBoxS
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes I got 0 help as well... I don't understand why even though I set everything to Online Only and made sure there were no exceptions and followed all the FAWs and help links, it's still displaying offline and taking up lots of space.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there, @iBoxS, let's jump right into this! 

Can you clarify the app's current syncing status, along with the Dropbox version that you're using on your end? 

You mentioned that some online-only files seem to be taking up space on your hard drive. Can you send me some screenshots as a reference, please? 

It'd help to have a visual of the files' icons in your Dropbox folder, and then the properties you see when right-clicking on the online-only files. 

As for your account: if you delete online-only, or available offline files, they will both get removed from your account online. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?