cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People with password sharing option disappeared?

People with password sharing option disappeared?

AnnieX
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have been using Dropbox Plus for years and I no longer have the option to share folders with passwords. I do not know if something is wrong with my program right now, or if this is yet another new change to Dropbox this summer. If this is a change, I am very disappointed. I'm here hoping for a solution or at least an explanation. Password protected folders are how I share exclusive content for my business. I've been doing it this way for years, and would like to have it back. I am not interested in figuring out whatever Vault is.

In case this is something wrong on my end, when I select the 'Share...' option and go to link settings, this is what pops up:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/f5v7hh4eg9feowu/Screenshot%202023-09-02%20at%205.55.22%20PM.png

I really hope this is a temporary issue.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lisadbx
Dropbox Engineer

If you already shared this file with the user via email, or if they already joined the folder, then they already have access and do not need to enter password. This is slightly different than how the previous link password worked, but it does protect your content the same way since anyone who does not already have access will still need to enter the password. 

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Have you tried recreating the link? 

https://help.dropbox.com/share/set-link-permissions#passwords

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

AnnieX
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes. Several times. I tried it with several folders. None of them worked.

Is the only way to do it on dropbox.com or the mobile version now?? It was working fine on the desktop version. Please bring that back.

lisadbx
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

Thanks for reporting the issue. This is not expected and we are working on a fix. In the meantime, you can use the dropbox.com website or mobile app to set password. 

TBat
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Any word on this? I'm getting this exact same problem for the desktop app and it was working fine a couple weeks ago. Now the "Who has access" dropdown only gives two options: "Anyone with link" and "Only people invited", when there used to be a third option for "Only people with password".

Now I can only set folder passwords via the browser. Not sure if this is related, but it appears the "view permission" sharing link has been changed from "dropbox.com/sh/[folder link]" to "dropbox.com/scl/fo/[folder link]h?rlkey=[key]". It still correctly prompts you for the password, thankfully.

SCHouston
Explorer | Level 3

I am also just now (on February 14, 2024) having this same issue.  I have had Dropbox Plus for many years and have always been able to password-protect a shared folder link.  Today I was able to set a password on one folder, but not on another folder.  Then I tried multiple other folders, but all have removed the option that "Only people with the password can access."  I cleared my cache and tried again - same exact scenario.  I tried on my phone - no luck.  The only thing I have not tried yet is another browser.  I currently use Firefox (current version) on a Windows 10 Pro PC (regularly updates automatically).  Dropbox version is 192.4.4605, which appears to be current.  This is a brand new issue for me.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @SCHouston, is there something different about the other folder in particular? Is it already a shared folder or part of one? Are you the owner of the folder?

Are you able to share a link to a new test folder with a password?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lisadbx
Dropbox Engineer

@SCHouston do you see a "

SCHouston
Explorer | Level 3

That option is present, but it doesn't add the option of only allowing people with the password to access the link.  I utilized this option yesterday to see if it would work, and the person who received the link that I sent from that attempt was not required to input a password to access the folder. Also, a yellow box appears at the top indicating that requiring a password won't affect that link and that I need to obtain a more expensive subscription. I'm not in front of my computer at the moment, so I don't remember the exact Language. But this is a feature (password-protected folder links) that I've had ever since I've had my paid Dropbox Plus subscription, which I think has been at least a decade.

SCHouston
Explorer | Level 3

Jay, I had previously shared a link (with password protection) to one of the folders I tried yesterday (though this happened as long as probably a year or so ago), but not the one I needed to share.  I set up new folders as recently as last December to which I was able to share a link with password protection.  Yesterday it seems that that option has disappeared.  I own/created all the folders in question.  Some allow the password-protected link and some don't.  This is unacceptable.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    nnayar New member | Level 2
    lisadbx Dropbox Engineer
    JasonSilverDBX Dropbox Product Manager
    SCHouston Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?