cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Please don't block me from generating a link for a file that hasn't finished uploading

Please don't block me from generating a link for a file that hasn't finished uploading

terra1983
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

A new "feature" has been implemented where if I drop a new file in a DB folder, and then go to click on "Copy Dropbox Link", it simply won't perform the task until the file has finished uploading. 

Apparently this is to "prevent 404 errors". The "error" page that comes up when you clicked on a link before it had finished uploading was actually a "Uh Oh! File hasn't finished uploading yet". This to me isn't an "error" page and shouldn't be treated as such. It's clear and communicates exactly what it needs to and doesn't warrant a restriction in functionality for the rest of the users.

The solution you've silently implemented has caused a monstrous delay in my daily workflow.

I work in a fast paced environment, generating new content every hour and sharing it with dozens of people in my team. The fact that I can simply drop files and right-click and "copy link" and THEN carry on with the rest of my tasks while keeping an eye out for the spinning icon in the tray and THEN send the copied link to my recipients, means that I am FLOWING.

When I have to do that dozens of times per hour, if you block me from generating a link as soon as I drop it in the DB folder, you're forcing me to having to RETURN back to DB a second time in the process. You've added a whole extra step, and it's absolutely killed my flow.

95 Replies 95

DamirHalilovic
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Happy new year to everyone except the sad sod who thought removing this crucial feature was a step in the right direction. At this point WeTransfer is a better solution to Dropbox as this was literally the ONLY feature Dropbox was worth keeping around for. OneDrive and GDrive are both superior to it in every other way already.

isotropy
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

How this isn't fixed yet is beyond me. I feel like we're screaming into the void here. Is anyone at Dropbox listening? 

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Our teams are actively working on this feature, and it is currently available in beta, if you would like to test it out.

You can find out how to opt in to early releases of Dropbox in this Help Center article

Tanja108
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I also urgently need this feature back - where to get the beta? 

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

@Tanja108you can find out how to sign up for the beta, and all early releases, in this Help Center article.

INDIcisive
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear Dropbox,

The only thing people are interested in is:

IS THIS FEATURE FIXED YET AND HOW SOON?

Please get on this!!

Lovingly signed,

People contemplating a different cloud storage provider.

P.S. When things are working well, please don't reinvent the horse.

Rexxyboy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After making a lot of noise about this 2 years ago, this issue either fixed itself or was sorted in an update, but now it's back!

For months i've been able to chuck a file on dropbox, right-click it immediately and get a link to paste on a google doc for the various teams i work with.
Now, i need to wait for the file to upload before it gives me the link, so back to the old behaviour or old version.

Anyone else have this issue?  It's the ultimate workflow killer.

I'm not suire if dropbox updated by itself, i did not manually update it.

Restarting dropbox and the computer made no difference.

Windows 11 ,

Dropbox desktop yearly paid version v169.4.5684

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Rexxyboy, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

How large are the files you're adding to the Dropbox folder?

Is the Dropbox desktop application syncing normally during this process?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

NeilEvansRocks
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Agreed this is a royal pain in the ass. Put it back to how it was

isotropy
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Yeah, this was acting up for me again yesterday. What a pain 😞

Need more support?