cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puzzling Sharing dialogs and having share link on Windows 11 right click context menu

Puzzling Sharing dialogs and having share link on Windows 11 right click context menu

Early User
Explorer | Level 3

Recently, when I create a link with Dropbox, I am always puzzled on the SHARE setting dialog...

On Windows 11, open Dropbox folder using File Explorer, and select a folder to share  and select "Dropbox" in right click context menu.
Then, "Share this folder" dialog pops up.  I am always puzzled with the dialog.....

It is always hard for me to know and distinguish
 1) Am I creating a sharing link and sharing setting?
 2) Sharing link is created, and I am modifying the link and/or setting? (edit or view?)

It is because the dialog does not clearly show whether the dialog is the "STATUS of sharing for the folder" or "configuring up the Share setting".

This is particularly true when I check the share setting after creating the share setting. 
Sharing Link can be copied ONLY on this confusing "Share this folder" dialog (not in deeper share mode setting dialogs).

After creating the share link, I always check whether I properly configure the share setting for the folder.
To do that, I go into the setting dialogs by clicking "setting" on the "Share this folder" dialog.
Then, no link copy function.... 
The link can be copied ONLY on the first confusing "Share this folder" dialog. I always wonder "Is this really what I configured?".

To me, poor display about the sharing status and copy link always make me puzzling.

I wish Dropbox dialogs would be more intuitive and straightforward.

Thanks,
HF

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Early User, let's jump right into this! 

The main difference when trying to create a shared link versus a shared folder/file when using the desktop app, is this:

When trying to share the file/folder directly with someone, you can right click on it, then select Share… next to the Dropbox icon.

Then you type the Email, name, or group of the person (or people) you’d like to share it with, and click to select them from the results.

After that you can choose if you wish to give them Can edit or Can view permissions. 

When it comes down to creating a shared link, the steps would be almost similar but after selecting Share you'd need to click the gear icon in the top right.

You can then select if you wish a link for editing or viewing.

In any case, I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve.

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Early User
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, Megan,
Thank you for your post.
I know what you mean and how to share using the Dropbox dialog you are saying. 
It looks like the way I share files is a bit different from what you think. That seems the root of my puzzled feeling.

1. I usually share files for my work and often share with more than 20-30 people.
  2. I don't use the function "sending invitation from Dropbox" (the dialog you mentioned), but I copy the link and paste it on my email and send it to my collogues.
  3. That's why, to me, making sure the link setting and copy the link is the essential process of my work flow.
  4. Dropbox may assume that everyone uses the Dropbox dialog to send share link, but it is not always the case, like me.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Early User Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?