cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Character in Filename causing lack of syncing

Special Character in Filename causing lack of syncing

dropyak
Helpful | Level 5

I'm moving my files around - syncing via the cloud between a Mac and a PC - and, while I was doing a visual check to ensure the files were correctly synced, I noticed one file that was not syncing. Eventually, after trying various things to try and force a re-sync, I noticed there was a vertical bar character '|' in the filename. I removed that from the filename and the file now syncs.

Is this expected behaviour (I can't imagine it would  be) or is it a bug? How do I report a  bug? I have a free account and there is no option listed for actually contacting support.

The file is syncing correctly from my Mac to the cloud but it is not then syncing from the cloud to my Win10 Pro PC. As far as I know I'm using the up-to-date cliente on the PC but I can't see how to tell.

16 Replies 16

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hello @dropyak, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Certain characters can be used on some operating systems, but not others. This also means that, while your files may be visisble on the website, they may not be on a computer that can't handle those characters.

In this case, you are right! The vertical bar you mention is an incompatible character on Windows devices. You can find more info about this, here

Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dropyak
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks, Lusil.

Does Dropbox give any notification to the user that a file wasn't synced? 

If I hadn't done a file-for-file comparison, I wouldn't have seen this; I can't imagine that someone with many more files than I would be interested in manually verifying the results of a sync.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

I understand where you're coming from and, in general, to prevent sync problems in the future, make sure to avoid naming your files with any of these characters as Dropbox can't sync them on some platforms.

If you have any other questions, we're only just a post away, so just give us a nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dropyak
Helpful | Level 5

High marks for being polite. Low marks for the quality of the non-answer.

I take it, then, Dropbox does not notify - e.g. create a log - the user of any sync problems for subsequent follow-up? If that is true, on what basis can any business believe your service is reliable if certain files are not synced yet the user is not notified of this?

Surely this can't be the case.

chrisodonnell
Explorer | Level 4

Yes dropbox notifies you. There will be a red ! on the dropbox icon (at least on my PC there is).

and if you open the dropbox app, click on your initials and select "view sync issues" you'll see a list of all files that did not sync, and a short message as to why they didn't sync.

nunoa10
Explorer | Level 4

I am experiencing the same issues Dropyak is talking about, and there is no red ! on the dropbox icon as you say. As far as the "view sync issues", where exactly can I reach it? Since the problems we are facing are on a PC, there is no app to begin with. So, where else can we see sync issues?

I have only noticed not all the files were syncing by chance. I then compared the amount of files I have on my Mac, and there is a huge difference to those I have on my new PC. It means that a lot more issues like the ones I casually found out, probably regarding special characters Windows don't recognize as well, are still happening. But dropbox didn't notify me about them, and I still can't know which files are missing. Again, I only know they are missing because the total number of files is different from one computer to the other.

So, where exactly should I go in order to fix it?

chrisodonnell
Explorer | Level 4

On my PC, the dropbox icon is in the lower left corner. 

left click on the icon and then left click on your initials (upper right corner)

One of the menu options is "Show Sync Issues"

nunoa10
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks! The Dropbox icon was not visible anywhere, that's why I was not understanding your explanation. I had to made it appear on the lower tab first, and now I can do what you advise. I have 63 files requiring me to rename them now. After a few years using a Mac, it's good to be back on Windows and have an entire evening ruined like this.  

chrisodonnell
Explorer | Level 4

I have 59 files. But I decided I don't NEED any of those files and will leave them.

Have also alerted my co-workers about "special" characters and have requested that they not use them.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

pfortune New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    lenpal Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Manuelcorde New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?