cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can we have the old syncing icons back?

Syncing icons on the files in the Dropbox folder have changed

johnrinek
Helpful | Level 6

Hello
The Finder Extension Icons indicating whether a file or folder is Online Only or Available Offline are showing up in my Finder, however, the statuses are incorrect. For instance a folder that contains files that are both Online Only files and Available Offline files is showing a cloud icon, when it should be showing a white circle with a green checkmark and green outline. I think the Finder Extension is confused. Is there a way to reset the Finder Extension so the icons show correctly without changing the Online Only or Available Offline settings that I have for my files/folders? I do not want to change the statuses of my files/folders, I just want the icons to indicate the statuses correctly. Thank you.
Mac 10.14.6
Dropbox 152.4.4880

163 Replies 163

leandrosilva
Collaborator | Level 10

No one from the support department has been able or will be able to explain the reason for this downgrade (there isn't a "proper" reason, just some generic answers). Btw, if the service provided is getting worse... shouldn't the prices for its users decrease accordingly (instead of the opposite)?

rusdom
Collaborator | Level 9

@Hannah @Megan  tagging you since you've replied on this thread previously. Can we get someone at Dropbox to please respond on this thread? We all care about the Dropbox product—we are such devoted users we are taking the time to engage and interact here, in the hopes it can make a difference for a product we all use daily and clearly care about. This icon change has been truly debilitating to day to day Dropbox usage, and to our work as a result. Can we please get a response from someone at Dropbox?

rusdom
Collaborator | Level 9

@Walter @Jay @Greg-DB @Nancy @sukrith @Lusil tagging you all because I've seen you respond on other threads recently. Can we get someone at Dropbox to please respond on this thread? We all care about the Dropbox product—we are such devoted users we are taking the time to engage and interact here, in the hopes it can make a difference for a product we all use daily and clearly care about. This icon change has been truly debilitating to day to day Dropbox usage, and to our work as a result. Can we please get a response from someone at Dropbox?

Seeing this thread continue on for so long, and the impact this issue has caused, without Dropbox responding to it directly has been really disheartening. From each of your responses on other threads I can tell that you all clearly care about helping people. Thank you for that. I know we all greatly appreciate the help you and all the Dropboxers offer on these forums. I'm asking that someone please respond here now, even if you don't have all the answers yet. It would really go a long way just to know that this is something Dropbox has taken note of.

Joseph R.15
Helpful | Level 6

Just voicing my support for what rusdom requested above. There must be a large number of users like me afflicted by this problem and regularly checking this thread in the hopes of a meaningful response.

ppadmin
Collaborator | Level 8

Sadly I'm becoming disenchanted with DropBox. My guess is that they've become investor driven and only care about pushing the "next big thing". Meanwhile their core product, which brought them success in the first place and which is why most users are here, is suffering and no one cares that much to fix it. For example, there is a known problem with macOS 12.3 and newer that still hasn't been resolved. On a side note, my guess is that this icon change is somehow related to the ongoing effort to resolve whatever isn't working properly in 12.3+. In any event, 12.3 was released literally 6 months ago. And companies like DB have access to these releases well before the release date in order to have time to prepare. The point is DB has had an enormous amount of time to release a build that is compatible with 12.3+ and they haven't done it yet. The best they can do is display a dialog box stating that there may be problems opening files.

Alongside this I'm dealing with another significant sync related issue when overwriting cloud-only files out of Photoshop (any Photoshop users on this thread?) When a file is overwritten the timestamp updates but the content does not actually overwrite. Subsequently opening the file reverts it back to the previous version. This is a data loss scenario. I made a whole post on it on this forum but it was immediately flagged as spam. Here's the link, I wonder if it is accessible by anyone else?

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Bug-when-overwriting-cloud-only-files-from-P...

There's also an existing thread from another user with the same issue that I attempted to post to but my post never appears after I submit it (tried multiple times). It's things like this that make you wonder if they're actively blocking certain content that they deem to be negative from this forum.

Sticking with the theme of lackadaisical support, I also submitted a case for this Photoshop issue with a very detailed explanation that included a link to a screen recording video that I made showing exactly what is happening. The first response from tech support was to ask me something that I painstakingly already explained and then he asked if I could send a video showing the problem. Seriously. What's worse is that tech support is apparently unable to accept videos shared via a link. The video has to be attached to the case via the web interface which has a 20MB limit (my video is 126MB). But the fact that the 8 billion dollar company, whose primary reason for existence is to share files, can't accept a shared file for a tech support case is beyond insane.

Getting a little off topic here but the point is that, and which is clearly being felt by most users on this thread, the support, direction and leadership of this company are important to the user base and they all seem to be suffering right now.

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10

Yes folks, it seems like Dropbox has disabled the ability to vote on this, and deleted a lot of our messages in the various threads. 

Tweeting to CEO and the help teams is the best current idea:  

@drewhouston
@dropbox
@DropboxBusiness
@DropboxSupport

William F.5
Helpful | Level 6

If you are able, I suggest everyone cancel their plans. I just canceled mine. It is good through next year, so if by some miracle they fix this idiocy, I will resubscribe. Otherwise I will be migrating to Google Drive when my plan expires. Seriously, this is the dumbest crap imaginable.

rusdom
Collaborator | Level 9

@Walter @Jay @Greg-DB @Nancy @sukrith @Lusil @Hannah @Megan 

Just checking in since it's been about a week. Can any Dropboxer respond to my post above? For reference, here is my comment again:

Can we get someone at Dropbox to please respond on this thread? We all care about the Dropbox product—we are such devoted users we are taking the time to engage and interact here, in the hopes it can make a difference for a product we all use daily and clearly care about. This icon change has been truly debilitating to day to day Dropbox usage, and to our work as a result. Can we please get a response from someone at Dropbox?

Seeing this thread continue on for so long, and the impact this issue has caused, without Dropbox responding to it directly has been really disheartening. From each of your responses on other threads I can tell that you all clearly care about helping people. Thank you for that. I know we all greatly appreciate the help you and all the Dropboxers offer on these forums. I'm asking that someone please respond here now, even if you don't have all the answers yet. It would really go a long way just to know that this is something Dropbox has taken note of.

cindy t.3
Collaborator | Level 9

@William F.5 I've been moving my files to sync and will be canceling my Dropbox subscription before it renews in October. I've always had problems with selective sync in Dropbox and these last icon changes were the last straw. Sync isn't as fast when you have lots of files (it's great when you don't have too many), but it syncs how you want without error and **bleep** very clear what is or isn't available on your computer vs the cloud very clear. And it's cheaper. And it has better security. 

I never would have gone to the effort to move away from Dropbox if they hadn't made this icon change and then refused to address user concerns with it. But I'll be better off for it and they will have one less paying customer. I'll keep a free account to use for a couple of specific things. But now that I've moved about 3/4 of my files, I won't be going back to Dropbox even if they were to finally listen to users and resolve this issue. 

Good luck to the rest of you - I hope you finally get them to go back to the old system.

Gareth J.1
Helpful | Level 5

Has anyone tried iCloud as an alternative?

Need more support?