cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Check marks now white

Syncing icons on the files in the Dropbox folder have changed

johnrinek
Helpful | Level 6

Hello
The Finder Extension Icons indicating whether a file or folder is Online Only or Available Offline are showing up in my Finder, however, the statuses are incorrect. For instance a folder that contains files that are both Online Only files and Available Offline files is showing a cloud icon, when it should be showing a white circle with a green checkmark and green outline. I think the Finder Extension is confused. Is there a way to reset the Finder Extension so the icons show correctly without changing the Online Only or Available Offline settings that I have for my files/folders? I do not want to change the statuses of my files/folders, I just want the icons to indicate the statuses correctly. Thank you.
Mac 10.14.6
Dropbox 152.4.4880

163 Replies 163

cindy t.3
Collaborator | Level 9

I found a solution.  Leave Dropbox. I now have my Dropbox files way under 2G and will not be renewing my paid subscription when it comes due next month. All my other files are now happily residing in someone else's cloud where they always sync correctly and I know exactly what is available off-line and what is not. And my annual cost decreased by a few bucks. 

leolaurettimusic
Helpful | Level 6

I tried emailing the heads of dropbox. Found their emails online and I'm tracking this email, and I've seen they've clicked on this forum thread.

It sucks to have gone this way, but let's see if it works.

In case you want to do it yourself, the emails are [Mod: removed as per Community Guidelines] , and just go to the about pages and email the big chiefs there.

best,

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10
The callous disregard for the customer is truly staggering. Because of having an entire team on Dropbox, I am sluggish in moving our whole business elsewhere until the end of the year, but I look forward to people sharing their notes about which services they recommend. Has everyone going public with their complaints to @dropbox and @dropboxbusiness and @dropboxsupport and ceo @drewhouston on Twitter as well?

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10
@Rua - I suggest you read this form to understand why people are so furious. This change makes the system useless. We need to be able to see (1) when a folder is mixed between cloud and downloaded (2) when a folder is all-cloud (3) when a folder is fully downloaded to our system.

This is how it used to be (it was perfect); this is how our company workflows worked, and anything that does not provide this is a violation of our trust, an violation of the reason we brought our companies to Dropbox, and an end to our ability to work with you.

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10

Hi folks, I've got business sales calls set up with representatives at Mega, Icedrive, pCloud, and Sync. 

I'll let you know what they tell me about their systems, and whether they offer what Dropbox no longer seems interested in providing for its customers (clear desktop sync icons, and customer support). 

Gareth J.1
Helpful | Level 5

What concerns me most about Dropbox's answer is:

"Additionally, online-only files will become commonplace for most Dropbox app users. If extra space is required on your hard drive, the Dropbox desktop app or the OS may automatically convert your files to online-only."

I signed up to Dropbox to have a backup of the files on my machines and to synchronize between them - NOT to start making files "online only" (and hence dependent on a continuing subscription).

William F.5
Helpful | Level 6

Yup, it sounds like they are moving to a Google Drive / Box Drive model. The only thing is, those services are much cheaper (in fact, they are free at many universities). There is no longer any point to a Dropbox subscription. Unfortunately I've got almost a year left on my now canceled subscription, and now I'm stuck with a service different from what I purchased. What garbage.

Joseph R.15
Helpful | Level 6

Have I got this right?

Dropbox have awarded themselves the power to DELETE files from my local filesystem, and make them cloud-only, based on some hazy criteria of "if extra space space is required on your hard drive"? So I'm actually paying for Dropbox for the privilege of being made dependent on them by stealth? And the icons actually now mean: "we can take your files hostage at any time unless you keep paying us money"?

arigoldfilms
Collaborator | Level 10

This is the message I'm sending to competing cloud services. I hope it seems clear to all you good folks of the community. I've already gotten helpful responses from two of Dropbox's competitors! Here's my message:

To [competing cloud service CEO]:

I and many Dropbox Business users are planning to migrate away from Dropbox due to its sudden kneecapping of its flagship product - specifically, the usefulness of "selective sync" icons. We're wondering if you provide (or can provide) what we just lost.

Business teams need 3 separate icons for fully synced folderswhich Dropbox used to have - brilliantly! - but then canceled without logical explanation this summer. Specifically, we need sync icons that show:

1. ALL LOCAL - the fully synced folder has also been completely pushed to the local drive. (This used to be Dropbox's green check icon; now it's annoyingly represented by two types of green check which are functionally the same).
2. MIXED - the fully synced folder has some items pushed to local drive, but not all. (This used to be Dropbox's white-ish green check icon, which has been redefined by Dropbox with a useless double-designation as "available". It's essential for organizing/clearing drive space for sync/cloud.)
3. ALL CLOUD - the fully synced folder is completely "online-only," and takes up no local drive space. (This used to be Dropbox's Cloud icon, but now you can't tell if a Dropbox folder is all-Cloud .. or might in fact be eating massive amounts of local storage).

These three precise icons for fully-synced folders (ALL LOCALIZED; MIXED; ALL CLOUD) are essential for drive management among team members who need rapid local access to large amounts of data for their projects. Without these three designations, sync icons are not useful for Business teams.

Does your service provide - or can it be amended to provide - these three designations?

yours,
Soon-To-Be-Former-Dropbox-Promoter, Business Owner, and social media influencer

William F.5
Helpful | Level 6

Which competitors replied to you? Google Drive is not a viable solution for syncing across multiple machines. So, I think my best option is Box Sync (NOT Box Drive). But I'm not sure if Box is still really maintaining Box Sync. Also, it syncs much more slowly than Dropbox (the reason I switched away from it in the first place). Still, at least it has functional, comprehensible icons.

Need more support?