cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary files are created for Office files only in the Dropbox folder

Temporary files are created for Office files only in the Dropbox folder

Internazionale
Explorer | Level 3

good morning, I need your help.

I use dropbox for job, from the account that my boss created for us, we have shared dropbox, so if I change o cancel a file, every people see that changement of cancellation.

it's been a few days that every time I edit an excel or word file, it creates a lot of temporary files and this, creates confuzione for all the other collegues and I have to cancel all of them by hand. my collegues see tha changes and the sharing is correct but it continuosly creates temporary files and I dont' understand why. I absolutely have to solve it. I'm waiting for your help.

thanks

19 Replies 19

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Internazionale, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

In this case, I'd suggest pausing syncing or quitting the Dropbox desktop app when working on those files and resume syncing or relaunch the app once you're done with your edits.

This should help avoid the issue you noticed.

Let me know of any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Internazionale
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, thank for the answer, but it is impossibile for me do this, because I work everyday with a lot of file with my colleagues too, so I need to have the syncing in time. so, the fact is that is a problem only mine, e there isn't  a problem for my colleague, I need that dropbox works like before and like all the rest of the office, my boss pay for it, so I need someone who solves my problems in a rush.

thanks,

have a nice day

Mark
Super User II

If it works on all other machines but not yours there is something on your machine that is doing this. Note that it is not Dropbox - Dropbox cannot do it, there is a process or something on your device which is causing the issue. You need to work out whats different between yours and the rest 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Internazionale
Explorer | Level 3

I'm sorry but it is not like you say because the temporary file are created in dropbox and from dropbox and not in my pc, so it is impossibile what you say, there is a problem in dropbox, because if the problem was the pc, the temporary files would be created in my pc. 

Is there a dropbox assistance?

Rich
Super User II

@Internazionale wrote:

I'm sorry but it is not like you say because the temporary file are created in dropbox and from dropbox and not in my pc ...

Dropbox doesn't (and can't) create files on its own. If there are temporary files being created, then they're from an application on your computer or on the computer of another member of the folder. Dropbox is simply not capable of creating files like that.

Look at the version history for one of the files. It will show you where it originated from.

Mark
Super User II

@Internazionale wrote:

I'm sorry but it is not like you say because the temporary file are created in dropbox and from dropbox and not in my pc, so it is impossibile what you say, there is a problem in dropbox, because if the problem was the pc, the temporary files would be created in my pc. 

You are missing how Dropbox works. 

Dropbox is a folder, on your PC, like every single other one. So, what I said was right - the files are on your PC and are being made by an application on your PC which is then being sync'd. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark
Super User II

@Internazionale wrote:

www.dropbox.com/support 

hilwood
Explorer | Level 3

Everytime I saved my word document in dropbox folder. A ~WRDxxxx.TMP file created and will not be auto cleared even i quit the Microsoft office.IMG_4689.jpg

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @hilwood, thanks for reaching out to us today.

This looks like Word is creating some temporary files in your Dropbox folder.

This isn't specific to Dropbox, you can read more about it here.

If you try Walter's workaround here, I believe you should be good to go.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Christine2024 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?