cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want Smart Sync to be available as an option everywhere on my computer

Want Smart Sync to be available as an option everywhere on my computer

smdevivo
Explorer | Level 4

It's pretty simple and driving me crazy. If I go to a folder, any folder, anywhere on my computer, and then right-click on that folder... the Smart Sync option is not there in the sub menu that pops up. IT IS THERE for the items I setup when I initially installed Dropbox, (i.e., Desktop, Documents, etc.) but the ability to add "additional" folders, from elsewhere on my computer, isn't there.

This is frustrating because this is all I need from Dropbox: folders that will automatically update, locally and online, as I make changes within that folder. I'm not working in a team, I do not need (nor want) to save space on my computer, nor trying to do anything other than have a "live" backup running in the background as I make changes within folders I designate for Smart Sync. It seems like what I'm asking should be an obvious and very easy thing to do.

To be clear… I NEVER, EVER want to move files off of my computer to save space.  I will do that completely on my own when I feel the need to do so.  I have 8TB of disc space on my computer that allows me to permanently archive files when I need to.
I want my files to always be in BOTH places… on my computer AND in my Dropbox – just like how Dropbox used to work.

I want to be able to designate ANY folder on my computer to Smart Sync with Dropbox.  I mean, let’s face it, if I’m moving the files off of my computer then I’m not really “syncing” anything, I’m just working on a file that is located remotely.

I live in a rural area with much slower-than-normal bandwidth speeds and occasionally, due to weather, may not have a connection at all.  So, working on a remotely located file may be problematic for me at times.

So, I’ll ask again, how can I right-click ANY folder on my computer and see the “Smart Sync” option appear in that pop-up menu?

That is all I want and need.

If this can’t be done, then Dropbox is not for me.

Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Want Smart Sync to be available as an option everywhere on my computer

Mark
Super User II

Hi @smdevivo 

Yes, I'm afraid what you want isnt possible. 

Dropbox can only sync (or SmartSync) things which are physically inside of its own directory. So, even if you do the Backup option it physically moves the files and folders there and puts links/symlinks or junctions at the original location. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hi @smdevivo, thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to our Community!

Just to clarify, Smart sync is a feature, which helps you free up disk space, by turning a file into a placeholder, with no physical space on the hard drive.

This feature is only available for files that are in your Dropbox folder or the folders you have backed up to Dropbox using computer backup.

Computer backup can currently be used on your desktop, downloads and documents folders. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

smdevivo
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah... thank you for your reply.

I've followed your directions, but the backup options it's giving me are for my PC or to backup my computer. I don't want to do that.

I want to backup individual folders scattered all over my computer on 6 different internal drives... it's not sounding like I can do that.

When I go to "Dropbox Preferences", I see and then select the "Backup" tab. I then click "Manage backup" and that then shows me the basic folders from my C-Drive (Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc.). Am I to understand that backups can only be accomplished from these folders and only if they are on the C-Drive? How do I backup items on my D-Drive, G-Drive and H-Drive?

Does Dropbox assume that people are only saving documents to the "Documents" folder and only to their main C-Drive? I feel like I am missing something obvious (which I hope) but afraid that this is all Dropbox allows now.

Please help!!!

Mark
Super User II

Hi @smdevivo 

Yes, I'm afraid what you want isnt possible. 

Dropbox can only sync (or SmartSync) things which are physically inside of its own directory. So, even if you do the Backup option it physically moves the files and folders there and puts links/symlinks or junctions at the original location. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

smdevivo
Explorer | Level 4

Okay, well, then I think Dropbox must be losing customers who used Dropbox as one of the most awesome ways to backup files. I had no idea, after being away from it for a couple years, that Dropbox had shifted their business model that resulted in the loss of great features they used to offer.

Thanks for saving me from going through many more hours trying to find and figure out something that was no longer there.

Hannah
Dropboxer
We do appreciate your feedback about this @smdevivo. I will definitely pass it along to our team.

If there's anything else you'd like to add, make sure to let us know.

Have a great week ahead!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

S2B
Explorer | Level 4

I have a Mac Mini with a small internal hard drive. I use a number of external hard drives for my data. I am a photographer  - in some cases these external drive are very large and will not fit in my internal directory.

I would like Dropbox to automatically back up and sync my photo's folder that sits on a 6 TB external drive. There is no way I could include huge folder filled with raw photos with my default Mac Photo's Folder which has enough room for my system, apps and data that Apple by default writes to the internal drive. 

How do I use dropbox to back up my large data folders? Do I need to leave Dropbox to find a cloud alternative for back up?

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @S2B - thanks for joining the discussion here.

There's a new feature which allows you to back-up your external drives to Dropbox, as long as they're APFS or HFS+ for Macs and NTFS for Windows. 

Assuming that you're running the desktop app, you'll get a pop-up message to back-up your external drive once you plug it in your computer. 

If you'd like to change your external drive settings, you can do it through the Backups tab in the app's preferences

Let me know if this helped!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    S2B Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropboxer
    smdevivo Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?