cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it safe and secure to share a folder with someone by email on dropbox?

is it safe and secure to share a folder with someone by email on dropbox?

jah000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

is it safe and secure to share a folder by email using dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @jah000

Good question 🙂

The answer is yes - because that person will need to log in (or already be logged in) to access the share via the link. If somebody did intercept it and click on teh link even if they've a Dropbox account themsleves it wouldnt work since the link was sent to a diff email. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @jah000

Good question 🙂

The answer is yes - because that person will need to log in (or already be logged in) to access the share via the link. If somebody did intercept it and click on teh link even if they've a Dropbox account themsleves it wouldnt work since the link was sent to a diff email. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Arjb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Mark, can you please expand on your answer. The Dropbox instructions for sharing folders says: "You can share folders and files in your Dropbox account with anyone (even if they don’t have a Dropbox account). " The wording in parentheses implies that one doesn't need a Dropbox account to access a shared folder. So how does someone access the shared folder in that case after receiving the email? Your answer seems to be saying they cannot.

I'm actually trying to confirm what the original poster asked as regards security of the shared folder - making sure that if a bad actor intercepts the email, they won't be able to access my shared folder. Your answer was comforting but i'm having trouble making that correspond with the quoted instructions.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @Arjb,

If the recipient you want to share with doesn’t have a Dropbox account then you would need to share the folder via a shared link instead of by adding the email address to the folder. 

With a shared link, you can give only viewing access to the content you share, but the recipient of the link doesn’t need a Dropbox account to open the link. 

Hope this helps to clarify the matter - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

usarocks
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just to also confirm, they ONLY have access to that folder and not to the rest of the your DB files? I would hate to have my folders hacked.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @usarocks,

That's right indeed! The recipient will only have access to the folder that you share and it's contents, or a file if you want to share only individual files instead of a folder. Nothing outside of what you share will be accessible via a shared link. 

I hope that helps - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    usarocks New member | Level 2
    Arjb Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?