cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Great and all as it is to hear how we use Dropbox, we want to know how you use it! Day to day, big projects, sharing files with friends and family - we want to know about it.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DESKTOP SYNC PROBLEM

A new 'PC(2)' folder has been created on my computer and I can't rename the old 'PC' one

SNANA51832
Explorer | Level 4

After I reinstalled my pc, it create a new folder named PC2, and the previous folder PC I can't change its name, nor I can delete it. Does anyone have a solution?

10 Replies 10

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @SNANA51832, thanks for letting us know about this.

The 'PC' and 'PC(2)' folders mean that you have enabled the computer backup feature on two connected PCs, but the backup folder name cannot be changed. 

Can you clarify what you mean when you say that you reinstalled your PC?

Did you update your operating system or did you just reinstall Dropbox on it?

And, are you seeing two backup folders for the same PC or do these two folders contain different desktop files?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

SNANA51832
Explorer | Level 4

I reinstalled my operating system a few days ago and these two folders are not visible to me and show up on the new one as the PC folder. You can see the picture here.https://imgur.com/gallery/mGhrwen

But in dropbox, it will show this.https://imgur.com/5XcXvfi

After I reinstalled my operating system, I move all my desktop files from PC to PC2.So the PC folder is empty.And I can't delete it nor can i rename the PC2 folder.

And the dropbox desktop software will contain a PC2 folder.https://imgur.com/ka8UPxN

Look forward to your favourable reply.

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the info, @SNANA51832, this is related to the computer backup feature. 

Could you check if the old computer has been removed from the list of devices on this page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

SNANA51832
Explorer | Level 4

Sorry for the late reply,but it is always the PC2 folder.Though I have deleted all my devices and folders on dropbox, and I resynced, it will create the same PC2 folder.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @SNANA51832, thanks for the update here.

You won't really be able to rename the PC(2) folder, I'm afraid.

And even though the computer was unlinked, it's still the same computer, and Dropbox recognizes that, so the backup folder will keep getting named 'PC(2)'.

Now, since the first 'PC' folder is empty, though, now that that computer is unlinked, were you able to delete it?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

milesdudley
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem. 

I have tried all teh steps above.

THIS should now be the only PC being abcked up ALL OTERS HAVE BEEN DEACTIVAED AND REMOVED however it still list this PC as #2.   This is frustration.  I HATE IT! 

Please allow us a way to rename this folder. 

mheck
New member | Level 2

I agree.  Not being able to rename the backup folder WITH THE NAME OF THE COMPUTER BEING BACKED UP is INEXCUSABLY STUPID.  No, really.  Seriously stupid.  Like, actually moronic.  Bad enough that I wonder what their company drug policy is.  Seriously.  Truly, truly dumb.

This app is getting harder and harder to take seriously.  I don't know what's wrong with those guys.

nichole
Explorer | Level 4

It honestly seems a security/privacy flaw to me that, despite unlinking the device from your account, if you set up Dropbox on it again, it gets assigned the same folder name. Dropbox should have no idea the same device is being linked because I disassociated it with my account. So why has Dropbox not actually forgotten its existence? It's very suspicious to me. 

Why are my backups showing as PC (2) and how can i fix it?

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 9

Ugh, same problem.  its pegging my main PC as PC2 after a format/upgrade to windows 11.  unlinked everythign from my dropbox account, restarted and tried to set it up again.

guess i wont be using that. 

can win with cloud services.   tried putting libraries in onedrive but stuff just gets perpetually stuck on sync so figured id shift gears and come to dropbox.  nope, dropbox has to sequester things off in their own "PC" folder and on top of that they have to append numbers and you cant change whatever it decides. 

good times.   local backups it is. 

Need more support?