cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DESKTOP SYNC PROBLEM

Turning on dropbox backup but folder name is weird

tjanderson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had tested the Dropbox Backup feature in the past so I know that when turned on my Computers should be added as My Mac (Unique Mac Name). I decided to turn it back on again when setting up two new Macs that I have but the backup now creates the folders as just  MacMac (2), Mac (3)

I've gone through the steps of unlinking Dropbox from each computer. Checking their names in System Preferences and also in the Security tab of my Dropbox account. The computer names are correct in Dropbox but the backup feature is still creating the folders as just Mac

tjanderson_0-1626891060061.png

56 Replies 56

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @SNANA51832, thanks for the update here.

You won't really be able to rename the PC(2) folder, I'm afraid.

And even though the computer was unlinked, it's still the same computer, and Dropbox recognizes that, so the backup folder will keep getting named 'PC(2)'.

Now, since the first 'PC' folder is empty, though, now that that computer is unlinked, were you able to delete it?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

milesdudley
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same issue. I have removed all PC's and deleted all files reattached my "new" desktop and it still  names it PC2.

I DONT WANT THIS!!!   i WANT TO SEE MY PC NAME!

Is there no way to fix this???

milesdudley
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same problem. 

I have tried all teh steps above.

THIS should now be the only PC being abcked up ALL OTERS HAVE BEEN DEACTIVAED AND REMOVED however it still list this PC as #2.   This is frustration.  I HATE IT! 

Please allow us a way to rename this folder. 

milesdudley
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I FULLY AGREE AS WELL.

This is awefull it does not siplifiy ANYTHING!!  

Please undo this.  I reformated my PC now it shows up as PC 2 BUT IT'S NOT!

It makes me feel like I a=have anotehr PC being backed up but Im don't.

mheck
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I agree.  Not being able to rename the backup folder WITH THE NAME OF THE COMPUTER BEING BACKED UP is INEXCUSABLY STUPID.  No, really.  Seriously stupid.  Like, actually moronic.  Bad enough that I wonder what their company drug policy is.  Seriously.  Truly, truly dumb.

This app is getting harder and harder to take seriously.  I don't know what's wrong with those guys.

nichole
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It honestly seems a security/privacy flaw to me that, despite unlinking the device from your account, if you set up Dropbox on it again, it gets assigned the same folder name. Dropbox should have no idea the same device is being linked because I disassociated it with my account. So why has Dropbox not actually forgotten its existence? It's very suspicious to me. 

Tenayshus
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've been a dropbox customer since 2010. 

THIS  feature is a JOKE! I have had dropbox since 2011 and USED TO love it! Did the meaning of the word "sync" get changed at dropbox? Because there is no "SYNCING" going on at all. "SYNC" used to mean dropbox kept all of my files organized and up to date across all my devices. 

I will be going to ANY OTHER CLOUD service. I am not a fan of other cloud services, but at least they keep my files straight. 

Bye bye

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Ugh, same problem.  its pegging my main PC as PC2 after a format/upgrade to windows 11.  unlinked everythign from my dropbox account, restarted and tried to set it up again.

guess i wont be using that. 

can win with cloud services.   tried putting libraries in onedrive but stuff just gets perpetually stuck on sync so figured id shift gears and come to dropbox.  nope, dropbox has to sequester things off in their own "PC" folder and on top of that they have to append numbers and you cant change whatever it decides. 

good times.   local backups it is. 

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

so is a plan in the works to address this behavior?  what happens when i format again? PC3?  then i build a new pc to replace this one, PC4?

Its kind of important to address this.  some people have a whole slew of scripts that run based on paths and locations and once youre entrenched having crazy names appended to the same environment that are unchangeable and unremovable is absurd at best.  I was able to swallow the murder of symlinks but this one is preventing me from using it altogether. 

cpate9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is this still the case? Why doesn't it use the device name or computer account name? It's incredibly inconvenient to use a naming convention like this. Especially if you're trying to access files via terminal but the name has parenthesis in it. 

Need more support?