cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All files deleted by a member who not active

All files deleted by a member who not active

DWK22
Explorer | Level 3

Yesterday all our Dropbox files where deleted from our Dropbox account (business account). The whole account emptied. I could see them disappearing before my eyes and I knew no other member would be doing doing it. I checked with them.

The admin account activity show that one member deleted the folders (but no one from the company has used this account for months). Also activity from ‘Dropbox’ member listed as ‘unshared file/folder by clearing membership’. What does this mean? The files were not in the deleted folded to restore. Our admin found a folder in their login and initiated a restore, however it not restore it. Only to folders with a couple of item; there should be a hell of a lot more

At a complete lose of how to go about trying to get this looked at. Could our accounts have been hacked and someone done this!? Is there a way to restore the files…if you can’t see them anywhere to select restore.

3 Replies 3

Re: All files deleted by a member who not active

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @DWK22, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It sounds like these were files in a shared folder that was owned by the member in question. 

Was this person an actual member of the Dropbox Business team, or from outside the team? Was this user active, suspended, or removed from the team according to the admin console?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

DWK22
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Jay,

The member is an active one within the business. And when I say member I mean it’s an active email in the business. Only myself and a colleague actually use the Dropbox to work from. The member in question is our ‘office manager’ who just has the access in case the office needs something when we’re not around. But they never need to go into it and haven’t done for ages as no need.

I wouldn’t have thought that that member would have owned the folder but maybe they did.

The activity on the account from that member is not by anyone within our team.

Thanks!

Jay
Dropboxer

If the files are still on the account of that user, then it could be possible to recover the files directly from that account. Depending on your plan, you can sign in as a member directly.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    DWK22 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?