cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All files missing after leaving a shared folder

All files missing after leaving a shared folder

PG1301
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I recently had a shared folder on my basic account. Today I noticed I had full access to all of their data. I reported this and they closed the link, However I now have lost all shared folders (3) along with all my personal data (i have had an account for several years)

It appears my login credentials failed and when I changed my password I appear to have had a new account set up! Is there anything I can do to unwind this.

All help appreciated

Pierre

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @PG1301, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It sounds like you joined a Dropbox Business team, since you had access to a shared folder, and all their data, and that they were then able to delete your account.

To recover your account, you'd need to ask the team admin to do so, and then convert your account back to a personal plan away from the team.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

PG1301
Explorer | Level 3

Cheers Jay

Will they have access to all my personal files and other companies shared files

Rich
Super User II

@PG1301 wrote:

I recently had a shared folder on my basic account. Today I noticed I had full access to all of their data. I reported this and they closed the link, However I now have lost all shared folders (3) along with all my personal data ...

It sounds like you were invited to and joined their Business team account. When doing so, you merged your account into theirs, effectively making them the owner of your account, and giving you access to any data they made available to the team.

When you reported this, they removed you from the team which deletes the account. If the intent was to keep the account active, they needed to convert it back to an individual account, instead of simply removing it from the team.

You need to contact the team admin and ask them to restore the account, and then convert it back to an individual account. It's important that you act fast, as the team admin only has seven days to restore your account from the day it was deleted.

Rich
Super User II

@PG1301 wrote:

Will they have access to all my personal files and other companies shared files

Other users on the team, no, but the admin of a team has the ability to sign in to any account on their team (since they own the accounts), and that gives them the ability to view any content in the account.

PG1301
Explorer | Level 3

Cheers Rich 

Thank you for your help, will they only have access to the shared data or all data on my original account. As i have had an account for several years there is some quite sensitive information stored.

If access is available to the companies admin team can i wipe my content from what was my account 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @PG1301, they could have access to all files on the account, since the team admin might have the option to Sign in as a user.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

PG1301
Explorer | Level 3

Jay my email address has now been allocated an new empty/blank account. is there any way it can be "rewound" to a previous time i.e. yesterday. if not can it be wiped or deleted. or do i just have to trust the admin team with my personal account information.

PS i don't understand how a company can take over a personal account! am i mussing something

Sorry for all these questions but this is quite worrying i have 10 years of personal data on my account I only shared the company file 2 weeks ago!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If the team admin had control on your account, then it means that, at some point, you joined a shared folder or team folder which was only visible to the team. You then merged your account with the team, giving the admin full control over your account.

It isn't possible to rewind an account to before this change occurring, since this is a deletion of the account that can only be handled by the admin. Not even Dropbox can help restore your account. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

PG1301
Explorer | Level 3

Once again thank you.

Last question!

Do i need to ask them to delete my data or can they allow mw access

Cheers

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    PG1301 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?