cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted files - can I restore them somehow?

Deleted files - can I restore them somehow?

TitA Borisova
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, 

2 months ago I've downloaded the dropbox app on my laptop but 1 month later I've decided to delete the app. My files remained in a dropbox folder but yesterday I accidentally deleted the whole folder and it deleted all of my files. Everything. All my photos. I restored my computer to a previous version (form 22.07.22) it restored my folders but only the folders - they are empty inside. My photos are gone. Now I have downoaded the dropbox app on the laptop again but I can not access the old history to recover my previous sync. Please help me. There photos are really important to me!

4 Replies 4

Re: Deleted files

Mark
Super User II

Hi @TitA Borisova 

Did the files and photos ever make it to Dropbox? You can see them at www.dropbox.com/home - try also tapping 'Show Deleted Files'. You can also look at www.dropbox.com/events to see if they uploaded. They will have needed to have actually uploaded to Dropbox to be recoverable via Dropbox

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

knewt
Explorer | Level 4

I had a similar problem a few years ago and this is the reply that was sent to me:

The post My folders are empty!! has a new comment.

Rich R. 

“It seems that if your computer is linked to Dropbox, anything you delete on the computer will also be deleted on Dropbox, which in my opinion, totally defeats the reason for having Dropbox.

That's actually the entire point of Dropbox. It's a file synchronization utility. Anything you do to the files in your local Dropbox folder will also happen to the files in your account and any other devices connected to the account. Edit a file on your computer, and the edited copy is uploaded to your account and downloaded to your other computers. Delete a file on your computer, and the file is deleted from your account and all your other computers.

The entire point is that it keeps yours files the same across all your devices. It is not a backup service (though it has some backup-like functionality).”

I found out later, but too late to help me, that you have 30 days to get them back before they are gone forever. I think that information is on their website.

I sure hope you can rescue them! I lost so much important stuff. Dropbox isn’t user friendly at all, in my opinion. 

TitA Borisova
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you very much for the support. Unfortunately, the files are all gone but I remembered that I have copies on my devices. Have a nice day!

TitA Borisova
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you very much for the quick answer. Yes it is exaclly the way you are saying. Dropbox is not the correct app for sync. As I said on the other answer I have found copies on my other devices. Thank you again and have a nice day!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TitA Borisova Explorer | Level 4
    knewt Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?