cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files are deleting themselves?? Why??

Files are deleting themselves?? Why??

Lisa M.47
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I keep seeing advisements pop up of files being deleted, but I am not deleting them.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Recover one of the deleted files and then look at the previous version history for it. It will show you which account/device was used to delete it. That's where you need to look.

View solution in original post

44 Replies 44

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Check the Events page to see where the delete is occurring.

Also, see here: https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/missing-reappearing-corrupted-files 

Lisa M.47
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The problem is that the files keep deleting themselves. I can't stop it.. I can recover the docs but I can't do that over and over.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Someone or something on a computer connected to your account has to be deleting the files. Dropbox can't do it on its own. Have you looked at the Events page yet? Also, if you show deleted items and click on one of the deleted files, you should see something that says Deleted by Name. That's where you need to look.

Lisa M.47
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is extremely frustrating. I have verified that no linked devices are deleting files. There is 0% that one of the linked devices is deleting the files. The files are deleting themselves. So fa, I have lost over 700 files. I can restore them, I know, but they keep deleting themselves much faster than I can control it. I trusted dropbox with all my files and now they are deleting themselves and I can't even call anyone. On the events page it does not indicate who is deleting the files. It does not show which computer is deleting them... Arg..

S MaryGloria M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

exactly THE SAME is happening to me. HELP PLEASE HELP. I took 2 hours and restore half of them. And now they are gone again!!!!

S MaryGloria M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Mine does not even pop up any more to tell me files are being deleted.

Lisa M.47
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have a Samsung Galaxy 4 phone. I just unlinked the Samsung phone from my Dropbox and it stopped deleting files.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
On the events page it does not indicate who is deleting the files. It does not show which computer is deleting them.

What about when you click on the deleted file after showing deleted items on the Dropbox website? As I replied earlier, it will say
Deleted by Name next to each file after you click on it.

Something, somewhere, is deleting them. Dropbox can't do it on its own.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CraigRich New member | Level 2
    rachelPR New member | Level 2
    BloomBrilliance New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?