cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Great and all as it is to hear how we use Dropbox, we want to know how you use it! Day to day, big projects, sharing files with friends and family - we want to know about it.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going back to 4months after upgrade a plan or the way to read a Dropbox synchronized files

Going back to 4months after upgrade a plan or the way to read a Dropbox synchronized files

eastsee
New member | Level 2

Hi.

I need some help. 

I downgraded the plan so removed lots of files last March. I made the backup of all files on an external hard disk before the downgrade. Then, I found out the files are encrypted. I guess the reason is synchronizing of dropbox. 

So I have two questions. Is there a way to read the backup files? If it isn't, can I rewind all files after the upgrade on dropbox now?

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Going back to 4months after upgrade a plan or the way to read a Dropbox synchronized files

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @eastsee, as @Rich suggested, Dropbox doesn't encrypt your files before syncing them, so they should still be the same files that you can open.

If they were encrypted, you might have a third party software that encrypted it, or ransomware affected the files. 

Recovering from the site at this point wouldn't help either, since they were deleted outside of the restoration period.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: Going back to 4months after upgrade a plan or the way to read a Dropbox synchronized files

Rich
Super User II

@eastsee wrote:

... I found out the files are encrypted. I guess the reason is synchronizing of dropbox.

Dropbox doesn't encrypt your files in such a way. If your files are encrypted, it's more likely that you were hit with ransomware, a type of malware that encrypts files and holds the decryption key for ransom.

I downgraded the plan so removed lots of files last March. ... can I rewind all files after the upgrade on dropbox now?

If you downgraded your account and it was more than 30 days ago, there's no way for Dropbox to recover the files. Upgrading now won't help.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @eastsee, as @Rich suggested, Dropbox doesn't encrypt your files before syncing them, so they should still be the same files that you can open.

If they were encrypted, you might have a third party software that encrypted it, or ransomware affected the files. 

Recovering from the site at this point wouldn't help either, since they were deleted outside of the restoration period.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

eastsee
New member | Level 2

eastsee_0-1626240091158.png

The files have X icons on the file. So, looks like synchronizeing problems to dropbox.  

The files are all erased 4months ago, so there is no way to rewind as Jay said.  Thank you. Rich and Jay

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

eastsee New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropboxer
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?