cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I stream a video to my website from Dropbox but from dropbox online?

How can I stream a video to my website from Dropbox but from dropbox online?

Starfox
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Guys, 

So I will try and explain best I can. This is my website https://www.progressivedreamsmusic.com/ and this is a page on my website where I stream videos https://www.progressivedreamsmusic.com/a-progressive-journey-50/

The video that plays on the above page is hosted on my desktop in my dropbox pubic folder. I use a widget within wordpress (on my site) called FV Flowplayer Video Player that allows me to embed videos like this. 

What I do is copy the link of the video I want to stream and I paste it in FV Player, I change the end of the link from '?dl=0' to '?raw=1', I am not exactly sure why but without this the video won't play. 

Anyway, without that out of the way you can see what I am doing, but because over time this will take up lots of space on my desktop I want to know how I can stream a video from my online dropbox account like this? I want to store these very large video files in dropox cloud, maybe a public folder on my online account? Basically I want to not eat up my computers hhd space and instead do this via online instead

Can anyne help me ?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Starfox wrote:

What I do is copy the link of the video I want to stream and I paste it in FV Player, I change the end of the link from '?dl=0' to '?raw=1', I am not exactly sure why but without this the video won't play.

The ?dl=0 will open a link on the Dropbox preview page. It's not a direct link to the file. Using ?raw=1 tells Dropbox to send the raw file and let the viewer's browser determine how to handle it. It's more like a direct link to the file.

... I want to know how I can stream a video from my online dropbox account like this?

You already are streaming it from your Dropbox account. You're not streaming the file from your desktop. The link is to the file in your account online; not a link to the file on your desktop.

What you want to do, by the sounds of it, is to be able to store files in your account online without having them take up space on your local drive. Take a look at Selective Sync. It's used to remove the local copy of a Dropbox folder from your computer while leaving it in your account online.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Starfox wrote:

The ?dl=0 will open a link on the Dropbox preview page. It's not a direct link to the file. Using ?raw=1 tells Dropbox to send the raw file and let the viewer's browser determine how to handle it. It's more like a direct link to the file.

... I want to know how I can stream a video from my online dropbox account like this?

You already are streaming it from your Dropbox account. You're not streaming the file from your desktop. The link is to the file in your account online; not a link to the file on your desktop.

What you want to do, by the sounds of it, is to be able to store files in your account online without having them take up space on your local drive. Take a look at Selective Sync. It's used to remove the local copy of a Dropbox folder from your computer while leaving it in your account online.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

amandachin
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi @Starfox ! I'm Amanda, a product manager at Dropbox.

We're looking at offering the ability to embed videos to websites. Would you mind sharing a bit more about your needs? For example, how large are your video files? How many people do you expect to view your videos on a daily basis? Since Dropbox doesn't offer this solution today, what are you using to embed your video? 

If you prefer to chat through Zoom, please reach out to publish-core@dropbox.com and we can set something up! 🙂

Best,

Amanda

Need more support?