cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to organize files

How to organize files

dcanedo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi there, I would like to organize my files with folders and subfolders. However, the system doesn't let me because some of the files are shared.  I have too much clutter now and would like to streamline my Dropbox "desk". Thanks.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
The ability to organize your folders already exists. It's possible to have folders and sub-folders and structure them how you want. In fact, if you have the Dropbox client installed on your computer, any folder structure you create in the Dropbox folder will be synced to your account online.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
In a shared folder, any changes you make will be made for everyone. If you move or rename files in a shared folder, they'll be moved and renamed for everyone. You can move the entire shared folder within your own Dropbox without affecting anyone else, but any changes made within the folder happen for all.

I created a folder within my Dropbox called Shared, and I move all shared folders into it. It doesn't help the organization within the shares, but it helps keep them separate from my own files.

dcanedo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks. I think Dropbox should work on this. My Dropbox desk is a mess.

dcanedo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks.

Your answer gave me a possible solution that doesn't really solve my problem.

Ideally I would like to see my Dropbox desk as Iconic and Intuitive as a Mac or a Windows desktop: with folders and sub-folders to minimize clutter and facilitate access to files.

Perhaps this is not possible yet. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
The ability to organize your folders already exists. It's possible to have folders and sub-folders and structure them how you want. In fact, if you have the Dropbox client installed on your computer, any folder structure you create in the Dropbox folder will be synced to your account online.

dcanedo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you. I will try again. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I agree with Rich.

I have one folder called 'Shared' where I have put everybody who has a Shared folder. Inside there i have also renamed them to things I remember - not what the other person wanted to call them.

The only warning with this, however, is when you do it your software WILL say you have left shared folders and deleted things. Ignore it. Give it time and it will say you've rejoined and sort itself out.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

p nc gm f.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am intuitively challenged. Can anyone point me to any good tutorials on youtube or elsewhere where such appear 

dcanedo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks. I think I will try some other Dropbox-like site.  This is a bit too complicated and time consuming for me. Thanks anyway. Regards, DC

jordanbrownmusi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Does this mean that if I organize my folders on the "finder" window in my mac that it will sync up and reflect that on my online browser dropbox? Or do i have to do it in both places?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    jordanbrownmusi New member | Level 2
    dcanedo Helpful | Level 5
    p nc gm f. New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?