cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update a .pdf file in my Public folder without changing the shared link URL...

How to update a .pdf file in my Public folder without changing the shared link URL...

mrpweman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Good Day - I have a .pdf file that I have shared with a number of people via a simple shared link in my Public Folder. I now want to make changes to the .pdf file and I do not want to lose the shared link (since it has been shared widely across several social media channels). I just want to be able to update the original .pdf file with new content and have people still be able to access it via the original shared link. Is that possible? I do not see an 'edit' function listed. If I upload an updated 'version' of the .pdf file with the exact same file name as the original file will that work? Thanks. - Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mrpweman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Rich - Thanks very much for the timely reply. I 'tested' your instructions and that's exactly how you do it. You edit your .pdf offline (on your CPU or laptop) and then upload it with the exact same file name of the file you want to update and dropbox replaces the original with the updated version and you should then see two (2) versions - one current and one the original, which has now been 'updated'. Appreciate the help... - PWE

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@mrpweman wrote:

If I upload an updated 'version' of the .pdf file with the exact same file name as the original file will that work?

Yes, that should work. What you want to avoid doing is deleting the file and replacing it with one of the same name. That WILL break the link. Also, if you're directly editing the file in your Dropbox folder, note that during the save process, some applications will first delete the original file before writing the new one. This will also break the original link. You need to make sure that the original file is overwritten without first being deleted, and then the link will be preserved.

mrpweman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Rich - Thanks very much for the timely reply. I 'tested' your instructions and that's exactly how you do it. You edit your .pdf offline (on your CPU or laptop) and then upload it with the exact same file name of the file you want to update and dropbox replaces the original with the updated version and you should then see two (2) versions - one current and one the original, which has now been 'updated'. Appreciate the help... - PWE

DocMolly
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello Rich

I am working from a Mac using the desktop application from mac. I make PDFs of my podcast show notes using an extension on my browser. I then download the file to my computer and save it in the appropriate folder on Dropbox. When I notice a typo that I need to fix on my show notes. I make a new PDF and then go to that dropbox folder select the original file name and click that I want to replace the file with the new PDF. Previously this did not change the link to that PDF file. Now it does. 

From other threads it sounds like I may need to change the file directly in Dropbox through my browser. I will try this and I hope it works, but is there any plan to fix the Dropbox application for Mac so that it no longer deletes the original file before writing the new one. 

Thanks for any help you can provide! 

Molly

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @DocMolly, sorry to jump in here, but did you get the chance to try updating the file through a web browser yet?

If so, did it work out for you?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DocMolly
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Yes, and yes. Thank you.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear that Molly - thanks for keeping us in the loop too.

See you around the Community and enjoy the remainder of your week!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    DocMolly Helpful | Level 6
    mrpweman Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?