cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My PC (PC Name) shows up as PC (3)

Turning on dropbox backup but folder name is weird

tjanderson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had tested the Dropbox Backup feature in the past so I know that when turned on my Computers should be added as My Mac (Unique Mac Name). I decided to turn it back on again when setting up two new Macs that I have but the backup now creates the folders as just  MacMac (2), Mac (3)

I've gone through the steps of unlinking Dropbox from each computer. Checking their names in System Preferences and also in the Security tab of my Dropbox account. The computer names are correct in Dropbox but the backup feature is still creating the folders as just Mac

tjanderson_0-1626891060061.png

56 Replies 56

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I do understand your view on this, TJ, and I will happily pass this feedback and your comments along to our team.

If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know. 

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

simmsg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi,

I just started backing up a new computer. The previous two show up in Dropbox as My PC (PC Name) but this third one shows up as PC (3).

The PC name is set just fine afaict.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@simmsg wrote:

I just started backing up a new computer. The previous two show up in Dropbox as My PC (PC Name) but this third one shows up as PC (3).

That is how the folders are now named. The first one will be named PC. Subsequent folders will be named PC (2), PC (3), etc. It was a change that was implemented to simplify the computer backup folders.

simmsg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for responding. What a shame. The previous naming convention was at least understandable. And as others have pointed out, who is going to remember which is PC 1 vs PC 2 vs PC 3?

lorenzofanchi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Fully agreed. What a horrible decision to give the computers such non-descriptive names. When will this be addressed?

SNANA51832
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

After I reinstalled my pc, it create a new folder named PC2, and the previous folder PC I can't change its name, nor I can delete it. Does anyone have a solution?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @SNANA51832, thanks for letting us know about this.

The 'PC' and 'PC(2)' folders mean that you have enabled the computer backup feature on two connected PCs, but the backup folder name cannot be changed. 

Can you clarify what you mean when you say that you reinstalled your PC?

Did you update your operating system or did you just reinstall Dropbox on it?

And, are you seeing two backup folders for the same PC or do these two folders contain different desktop files?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

SNANA51832
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I reinstalled my operating system a few days ago and these two folders are not visible to me and show up on the new one as the PC folder. You can see the picture here.https://imgur.com/gallery/mGhrwen

But in dropbox, it will show this.https://imgur.com/5XcXvfi

After I reinstalled my operating system, I move all my desktop files from PC to PC2.So the PC folder is empty.And I can't delete it nor can i rename the PC2 folder.

And the dropbox desktop software will contain a PC2 folder.https://imgur.com/ka8UPxN

Look forward to your favourable reply.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the info, @SNANA51832, this is related to the computer backup feature. 

Could you check if the old computer has been removed from the list of devices on this page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

SNANA51832
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sorry for the late reply,but it is always the PC2 folder.Though I have deleted all my devices and folders on dropbox, and I resynced, it will create the same PC2 folder.

Need more support?