cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent lnk files from uploading

Prevent lnk files from uploading

Doc A.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have used Dropbox and SugarSync for years.  I have noticed that SugarSync desktop app prevents uploading of shortcuts (.lnk) files since such shortcuts would be useless on another computer that you are syncing to unless the target of the shortcut is also present on the other computer.

Dropbox on the otherhand uploads the shortcut files and syncs them to the other computer.

This causes a real problem since those shortcuts points to files and programs that may not be present on the other computer.  When you run a utility program like System Mechanic on your other computer it would recognize those shortcuts as "broken" or "faulty" and would delete them. 

I do not see a way to prevent Dropbox from uploading shortcut (.lnk) files.

If anyone can help please reply. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Doc A.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello Walt3R,

Your response confirms the problem that I discovered.  Unfortunately for now the only solution is to make sure that the folders that are being uploaded to the Dropbox server via the Dropbox desktop app do not contain shortcuts (.lnk) files.  

Right now my Desktop folder is synced from computer to computer via SugarSync which I have been using for many years.  The SugarSync desktop app does not upload shortcut (.lnk) files so these files are not transferred from computer to computer which is good. The SugarSync app uploads URL shortcut (.url) files which are synced from computer to computer which is good.  My Desktop folder on any computer has shortcut (.lnk) files that point to various folders and programs.  If I used Dropbox to sync my Desktop folder this would be a huge problem. 

The best solution would be to develop the Dropbox desktop app to NOT sync shortcut (.lnk) files from computer to computer.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Doc A.1 - thanks for posting your question here and I hope my message finds you well!

As you pointed out, these files would indeed be useless on other machines other than the original, the one that they were created on. From what I understand, it appears that in some cases you've added a shortcut to a file rather than the original file into your Dropbox folder and Dropbox will sync the shortcut (lnk file) as a shortcut, rather than the file that the shortcut points to since files of type .lnk are Windows shortcut files and are mere pointers (in Windows) that point to your original files.

As you also outlined, Dropbox can't follow these links, so you'll need to place the original files into your Dropbox folder in order to sync them normally.

If Dropbox is running the Dropbox syncing icon will cover the shortcut icon, so you may need to quit Dropbox temporarily if you want to check on the files you currently have stored in your Dropbox folder.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Doc A.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello Walt3R,

Your response confirms the problem that I discovered.  Unfortunately for now the only solution is to make sure that the folders that are being uploaded to the Dropbox server via the Dropbox desktop app do not contain shortcuts (.lnk) files.  

Right now my Desktop folder is synced from computer to computer via SugarSync which I have been using for many years.  The SugarSync desktop app does not upload shortcut (.lnk) files so these files are not transferred from computer to computer which is good. The SugarSync app uploads URL shortcut (.url) files which are synced from computer to computer which is good.  My Desktop folder on any computer has shortcut (.lnk) files that point to various folders and programs.  If I used Dropbox to sync my Desktop folder this would be a huge problem. 

The best solution would be to develop the Dropbox desktop app to NOT sync shortcut (.lnk) files from computer to computer.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Doc A.1 Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?