cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can we do with ._ files?

What can we do with ._ files?

Judith B.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

In every Dropbox folder we have duplicatie files with ._ in front. Recently:

- we have used a SD card for storage (not anymore)
- we have added a Windows computer to the sychronisation (before only Mac's).

What can we do with these files? Can we hide or delete them? 

Thank you,

Laura

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dot underscore files are Mac system files and unrelated to Dropbox. They are the result of storing your files on a hard drive partition that does not support extended file attributes. They have likely always been there on your Mac, but since they are OS X system files, they were hidden. Windows just sees them as regular files so it doesn't hide them.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dot underscore files are Mac system files and unrelated to Dropbox. They are the result of storing your files on a hard drive partition that does not support extended file attributes. They have likely always been there on your Mac, but since they are OS X system files, they were hidden. Windows just sees them as regular files so it doesn't hide them.

Browncow1966
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I have been using an Apple MacBook Pro with Dropbox and I have Windows installed via Parallels with Dropbox there as well. Same account. Recently my folders and files have ._ prefix I can no longer access these files or folders from either Dropbox nor directly on the Dropbox web page. I run a small dog rescue and it is critical that I access these files and folders. Any help would be much appreciated. BTW, these are not copies of the files but the actual folders and files themselves.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Please read the links that were posted above your reply for information about dot underscore files. You're not supposed to open them. They aren't your actual files. They just hold data about your files that is specific to OS X/macOS.

andrew k.42
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It really would be nice though if there was a way to tell dropbox to automagically HIDE those files though..  i mean, after years and years of dragging through huge long lists of these meta data files, it would make db nicer to use..

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

andrew k.42 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Browncow1966 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?