cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Dropbox Desktop App no longer available?

Why is the Dropbox Desktop App no longer available?

thecandidate
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The dropbox desktop app had such a great user interface and was a good workflow for our team.. unfortunately as of 17 Jan 2022, it has been dropped.. I wonder why this change was made, and i'm just hoping the application is being improved instead of being killed.

What we enjoyed out of the desktop app was the ability to pin specific files to the main dropbox for quick access, which everyone was able to identify quickly. with the Finder app, it was hard to see pinned items, and with the website, its a redundant process – requiring lots of extra steps – having to open up the website to identify the folder before pinning them. the website does not give as much visual cues as the desktop app previously had. 

Please, dropbox, #bringitback! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey people, how are you all doing?

First of all, thanks a lot for your thoughts and comments. They surely help a lot to understand what you want on your end.

Keep in mind that Dropbox remains focused on helping our customers stay organized and work more efficiently. With this focus, we’re simplifying your desktop experience with improvements to Windows Explorer, macOS Finder, and the taskbar/menu bar.

Support for the desktop window ends on January 17, 2022.

Don’t worry—we're continuing to support a great desktop app experience for you and your content is still safe with us.

Save, view, share, and access all your files with the Dropbox folder in Windows Explorer, macOS Finder, the taskbar/menu bar, on dropbox.com, and with the latest iOS and Android apps.

If you need me, give me a shout. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

84 Replies 84

mafiaturtle69
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Totally agree! Its making me so frustrated. FIX IT DROPBOX TEAM.

Not applicable
Go to solution

Please bring back the desktop app; it is much better than the website page as it has a more defined interphase and has a quicker/more streamlined work flow for dragging files across from a other desktop monitors and vice versa. 

Please, Dropbox, #bringitback! it was great.

Sorce Eastwood
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I tottaly agree! It was super convenient, why did you close it?! I changed from Google Disc to Dropbox because dropbox had convenient app for MacBook... I'm totally disappointed...

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey people, how are you all doing?

First of all, thanks a lot for your thoughts and comments. They surely help a lot to understand what you want on your end.

Keep in mind that Dropbox remains focused on helping our customers stay organized and work more efficiently. With this focus, we’re simplifying your desktop experience with improvements to Windows Explorer, macOS Finder, and the taskbar/menu bar.

Support for the desktop window ends on January 17, 2022.

Don’t worry—we're continuing to support a great desktop app experience for you and your content is still safe with us.

Save, view, share, and access all your files with the Dropbox folder in Windows Explorer, macOS Finder, the taskbar/menu bar, on dropbox.com, and with the latest iOS and Android apps.

If you need me, give me a shout. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ddz1507
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes bring it back! I need the 'Do not sync to Dropbox' functionality. That thing is IMPORTANT!

Sorce Eastwood
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Blah blah blah... Unfortunately, but what you are offering now is not enough and totally incomprehensible. In that case, I and my entire company will start looking around for another solutions...

Not applicable
Go to solution

Can you give a clear answer please; Will the Desktop App be reinstated to the original interphase.

Not applicable
Go to solution

Yes; i think i need to look at other ways to streamline my workflow; the Web page good for quick and easy document workflow..

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi all!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We understand that the decision to streamline the desktop experience by focusing only on Finder and the menu bar on Macs and File Explorer and the taskbar on Windows has impacted the way you work with Dropbox on your desktop. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I would also like to assure you that your content is still safe and in the same location as it is today. You can continue using our Finder (Mac) and Explorer (Windows) integrations, the icon in the menu bar/taskbar, the Dropbox website or our latest iOS and Android mobile apps to sync and organize your content. 

Let us know if you have anything to ask or add.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    NBAlex Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    Kim12 New member | Level 2
    PaigeHoffman2011 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?