cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

accidentally overwrite the newest version of my file (syncing on more than one device)

accidentally overwrite the newest version of my file (syncing on more than one device)

KamahI
Helpful | Level 5

I accidentally overwrite the newest version of my file:

Saved on device 1

Synced

Started Device 2

Didnt Sync, wondered why i didnt see the new Version, saved the current file overwriting what was saved local

started Syn

realized that my file was overwritten now with what was saved on device 2..

File History and dropbox.com/events both doesnt seem to help me.... 

also found this: https://help.dropbox.com/en-en/delete-restore/missing-or-corrupted-file-support#event but it seems I cant send an email anymore

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

KamahI
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay! First of all, yes I am absolutely sure to be logged into the same account on both devices, since I only have one account.

Thing is, the events page says, I actually changed the file I am looking for 5 hours ago, what only possible can be happened on device 1 though when I download the provided file from there: [Removed as per Community Guidelines]

It gives me the file version I uploaded with device 2 just an our ago or so (and overwrote the newer file version...)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @KamahI, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Regarding support options, they vary depending upon your current plan. You can view all your available options when signed into your account on this page

If the events page isn't showing the changes made by device 1, nor the version history of that file from that device, then this means that the file didn't sync to the site originally.

Are you certain you're logged into the same account on both devices?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KamahI
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay! First of all, yes I am absolutely sure to be logged into the same account on both devices, since I only have one account.

Thing is, the events page says, I actually changed the file I am looking for 5 hours ago, what only possible can be happened on device 1 though when I download the provided file from there: [Removed as per Community Guidelines]

It gives me the file version I uploaded with device 2 just an our ago or so (and overwrote the newer file version...)

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If there isn't any version history for the file, then it means that it didn't sync the changes somehow. Without the history, it wouldn't be possible to recover the data, even from our end.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    KamahI Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?