cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OAuth through Unity or permanent token

OAuth through Unity or permanent token

SimonR27
New member | Level 2

Hello, I'm making this post due to some issues I was encountering whilst doing an implementation of the API for an application in the Unity Game Engine. The use of the Dropbox API, is quite simple as it only requires to upload files to a specified folder in my organization's Dropbox, I got the uploading working correctly but ran into issues when trying to implement the authentication on unity, this due to us not using a local host, thus we cannot redirect the user to the page where they authorize, and get a new token. Due to this I tried to inquire about using a permanent token instead as we don't need to log in the user, just to upload a generated file automatically without user input, however i couldn't find much updated information online about how to get a permanent token.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance
Simon

1 Reply 1

DB-Des
Dropbox Engineer

Hi there,

Dropbox does not offer the option for permanent tokens. However, apps can get long-term access by requesting "offline" access, in which case the app receives a "refresh token" that can be used to retrieve new short-lived access tokens as needed, without further manual user intervention. Refresh tokens do not expire automatically and can be used repeatedly. You can find more information in the OAuth Guide and authorization documentation. There's a basic outline of processing this flow in this blog post which may serve as a useful example.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DB-Des Dropbox Engineer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?