cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox API Search Not Working

Dropbox API Search Not Working

shripaldalal
New member | Level 2

We have integrated the API with our ERP system, where we can upload files prefixed by the document number. So one document can have multiple files.

SAMEX_23-24_0937_PDF1.pdf

SAMEX_23-24_0937_PDF2.pdf

Now when we search in the Dropbox web site "SAMEX_23-24_0937" we see both the files. But if we use the same option with double quotes in the API, we only see the first file. Till now it was working perfectly but it seems to have stopped from yesterday.

Even funnier in some cases for some document numbers like for example "SAMEX_23-24_0902" we see all the files that have been uploaded.

Please help as our entire document management has come to a stand still for this reason and this is non negotiable. All our customers use paid dropbox.

Quick Edit: I see only 1 file from the Chooser App, but I can see multiple files from the Dropbox main web site for a particular document. Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I'll be happy to help with any issues you're having with the Dropbox API, but I'll need some more information. Please reply with:

• the name and version number of the platform and SDK/library you are using, if any
  • the steps to reproduce the issue, including relevant code snippet(s), but don't include any access or refresh token(s)
  • the full text of the unexpected output

If you wish to share privately, you can open an API ticket here.

shripaldalal1
Explorer | Level 3

Funny thing is it asks me to take a new community username everytime, yesterday I posted as shripaldalal, today I had to compulsorily take shripaldalal1. What a nightmare.

<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/dropbox.js/4.0.30/Dropbox-sdk.min.js"></script>

This is the API.

function getFiles() {
var dbx = new Dropbox.Dropbox({
accessToken: ACCESS_TOKEN
});

dbx.filesSearch({ path: '', query: '"2324-CBB-PV00177"_' })
    .then(function(response) {
console.log('response', response);}
    })
    .catch(function(error) {
    console.log('Error', error);
                    alert('Error! Please check log!');
    });
}

Before I got all files that started with 2324-CBB-PV00177, now I get only one file that starts with 2324-CBB-PV00177.

The worse is the same problem is in Chooser as well.

I can't post the HTML so the code is a bit haphazard apologise for the same.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I see you've actually posted from two different accounts. You use your Dropbox account to access the forum, so it looks like you have two different Dropbox accounts, and used different ones to sign in and post your two forum comments so far. That would explain why you had to set the username again.

Also, since it looks like you're working with multiple different accounts, can you double check that you're signed in to the right account when when performing these searches? For the API, you can check which account you're connected to by calling usersGetCurrentAccount. In the Chooser, you can check using the button in the lower left, and on the web site you can check using the button in the upper right. Make sure you're signed in to the correct account with the expected files in each case.

Anyway, I notice that your query parameter value seems to have some extra " characters around the actual search string, as well as a trailing _. Can you try again without those extra characters and share the output?

shripaldalal1
Explorer | Level 3

The special characters " " is to do an exact search. It's written in your documentation itself. The problem it was working perfectly just one week back. I don't know what's suddenly gone wrong. Please look into it.

It does not even work with chooser. So if I do "SHRIPAL DALAL" it shows all files containing this string on the website. But if I do it in chooser it shows only one file containing this string in the chooser.

It's become a nightmare for us now.

iNeil
Dropbox Engineer

Hello @shripaldalal1, thank you for reporting this case and the additional information! We'll look into it, and I'll follow up here once I have any news on this.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@shripaldalal1 Please check the search functionality again now. If you're still seeing the issue, please open an API ticket here while signed in to the specific account that is seeing the issue, and share the following information:

• an exact query that currently isn't working as expected
  • the full results you're currently getting for that query
  • the full path of a file that is expected but currently missing from the results

That would help us make sure we're investigating the correct and current state of the issue in the correct account. Thanks!

iNeil
Dropbox Engineer

Hello @shripaldalal,

The engineering team has located and fixed the issue with searching files and folders. Please let us know if you need further assistance with this case.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

iNeil Dropbox Engineer
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    shripaldalal1 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?