cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Team Space vs Updated Team Space

Team Space vs Updated Team Space

mikechiu
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, according to this post , all kind of accounts will be migrated to "Updated Team Space" by 2024/01/31.

I have a few questions about the migration and APIs behaviour changed.

1) As my observation, not all Team Space / No Team Spaces accounts have been migrated before 2024/01/31 and not even been migrated right now.

Will the migration be happening some day underground or is there a exact date for it?

2) If the migration happened automatically or by schedule, is there any specific event we can get from team event (audit) log API to get to know this change?

3) So far as we observed, if we'd like to list team member folder's members via list_folder_member API for Team Space (NOT Updated Team Space), it will return error: "{'error_summary': 'invalid_id/.', 'error': {'.tag': 'invalid_id'}, 'user_message': {'locale': 'en', 'text': 'Invalid shared folder ID.'}}".

The folder structure is like:

Team Root Folder
|_ Team Member Folder1 (there's shared_folder_id for this team member folder) 

Is this an expected response or it's a bug as to list members of file/folder under a team folder should be workable for Updated Team Space and no team space models?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1) The API response is correct. In a non-updated team space configuration, as far as how the API works, the folders in the team space are technically shared folders not team folders.

2) No, unfortunately the API doesn't offer a way to filter out the member folders, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

First, to clarify, that post requests that app developers update their apps by January 31, 2024 if needed, but it does not indicate that all teams would be updated then.

1) That's correct, not all teams have been migrated yet. I don't have a specific date to share for when all teams will be migrated.

2) To check if any particular team/account has been migrated, check the feature values using /2/team/features/get_values or /2/users/features/get_values.

3) I'll be happy to help with any issues you're having with the Dropbox API, but to make sure I understand the specific scenario you're referring to so I can advise accordingly, I'll need some more information. Please reply with:

• the name and version number of the platform and SDK/library you are using, if any
  • the steps to reproduce the issue, including relevant code snippet(s) and parameter value(s), but don't include any access or refresh token(s)
  • the full text of any error or unexpected output

mikechiu
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi @Greg-DB , thanks for your quick and detailed reply!

And I have some following questions as well.

1) For old "Team Space" type, does that mean there is only one Team Folder available when calling list team folders API ? (Because we have no account of Team Space type to test, thus we can't get to know the actual result of upstream API), if so, do all other team folders will be located under the first layer when listing the team space by calling list_folder API

e.g.

Team Space Root 

- Member folder 1

- member folder 2

- team folder 1

- team folder 2

2) We understand we can tell the account type through get_values API, but we want to know if there is a specific event we can get from get_events API for the happening of the migration? 

3) Is there any way we can apply a testing Team Space account ? 

Thanks for your help!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1) Yes, for the non-updated team space configuration, /2/team/team_folder/list would only return the one team workspace team folder, and that folder contains everything else.

2) While there may be some events related to the migration, I don't believe we guarantee any particular event to use for programmatically identifying it. The feature values are the supported way of checking the configuration. Is there some reason you need to check this in the event log? I'll be happy to pass along any feedback.

3) Yes, you can request a Dropbox Business Development Account by following the instructions under "" here: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/support . Be sure to be specific and indicate what kind of team configuration you need.

mikechiu
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi @Greg-DB thanks for your reply.

@Greg-DB wrote:

1) Yes, for the non-updated team space configuration, /2/team/team_folder/list would only return the one team workspace team folder, and that folder contains everything else.

So I can assume there should be other team folders existed under this root team space workplace, is that correct?

2) While there may be some events related to the migration, I don't believe we guarantee any particular event to use for programmatically identifying it. The feature values are the supported way of checking the configuration. Is there some reason you need to check this in the event log? I'll be happy to pass along any feedback.

The purpose we need to be aware of the change is because the folder structure is a bit different and will affect our traversal flow. That's why we need to know once the migration happened just in case.

3) Yes, you can request a Dropbox Business Development Account by following the instructions under "How do I test my application?" here: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/support . Be sure to be specific and indicate what kind of team configuration you need.

Yes, we've apply a testing account via this google form and that one is in Updated Team Space. I will request for another one of Team Space then test to see how it goes.

Thanks for those useful information.! 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1) Any given team may or may not actually have additional folders created at any particular location at any given time, so I do not recommend making assumptions about the existence of items. Apps should use the API to check to see if particular items exist or not.

2) Thanks for the note. Attempting to use the log may be more difficult and less efficient though, so the recommendation is to use the feature endpoints to check whenever needed.

3) I see your request was received and should be processed soon.

mikechiu
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi @Greg-DB , thanks for your reply, will test with the account, thanks!

mikechiu
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi @Greg-DB , 

Thanks for all your help, the account works now.

I found some questions after testing on the Team Space account.

1) I created a team folder via Admin Console -> Content called Team Folder 1, and the type is Team Folder on WebUI.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 14.16.10.png

However, the response from namespaces API shows that, this Team Folder 1 is a Shared Folder

❯ curl -s -XPOST -H "Authorization: Bearer $dt" 'https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/team/namespaces/list' | jq .
{
  "namespaces": [
    {
      "name": "Netskope's shared workspace",
      "namespace_id": "2463823379",
      "namespace_type": {
        ".tag": "team_folder"
      }
    },
    {
      "name": "Team Folder1",
      "namespace_id": "2487991075",
      "namespace_type": {
        ".tag": "shared_folder"
      }
    },

So which type should I take for this folder? I suppose this should be like a pure shared folder as the team folder get info API response shows id_not_found in response.

{
    ".tag": "id_not_found",
    "id_not_found": "2487991075"
  }

2) Is it possible to get all file / folders under the root team folder workspace without member root folders?

Asking because we need to know the path in list_folder response, so we will set the Dropbox-API-Select-User to traverse from each user's member folder. Thus I was wondering if there's any way to filter out those member folders against list_folder API?

Looking forward to your response, thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1) The API response is correct. In a non-updated team space configuration, as far as how the API works, the folders in the team space are technically shared folders not team folders.

2) No, unfortunately the API doesn't offer a way to filter out the member folders, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

mikechiu
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi @Greg-DB,

Thanks for your clarification, it's helpful! 

Need more support?