cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three devices limit and API access

Three devices limit and API access

AlexFullmoon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have several apps that sync data through Dropbox — things like password manager, note-taking app, etc., all logged in through OAuth and using API. Do they count against three devices limit, or it only concerns Dropbox client apps?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It sounds like you're referring to the three device limit for Basic accounts documented here.

That limit applies to the devices that can be connected to the Dropbox product itself, via official Dropbox applications, such as the official Dropbox desktop client or mobile applications.

This limit does not apply to third party apps that to connect to Dropbox via the Dropbox API. Users of third party API apps can connect them to the Dropbox API from as many instances/devices as they want.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It sounds like you're referring to the three device limit for Basic accounts documented here.

That limit applies to the devices that can be connected to the Dropbox product itself, via official Dropbox applications, such as the official Dropbox desktop client or mobile applications.

This limit does not apply to third party apps that to connect to Dropbox via the Dropbox API. Users of third party API apps can connect them to the Dropbox API from as many instances/devices as they want.

Hope this helps!

klm1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That's really good news, Greg. We had quite a few customers read the information on the limit and think it applied to them. 

Any chance of getting that page updated to mention that it applies only to Dropbox, and not third-party, applications?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@klm1 Thanks for the feedback! I can't make any promises, but I'll ask the team to update that page to clarify this.

tpot
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Greg, thanks for that. Just to clarify, do you distinguish specific functions of a 3rd party app (syncing apps vs browsing apps, etc.) for exclusion to the device limit? Example, let's say I'm a multi-cloud syncing app, can a free dropbox user that already has reached the 3 device limit still use that 3rd party app even though it syncs to their device (i.e. i have technically 4 devices to sync using both the dropbox app and the 3rd party app)?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@tpot No, we don't classify third party API apps like that for this limit. A Dropbox user with a free account can still link a third party "syncing" API app even if they already have three official Dropbox apps linked.

mirceglavni
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Following the recent announcement from dropbox about the limit of 3 connected devices I am wondering how a linked device exactly is exactly defined?

Is it a device which has the official dropbox client (app) installed and registered with your dropbox account or something else?

The reason that I am wondering is the following: I have the dropbox app installed on my windows pc and on my android phone and I use it on these platforms.

I have also installed the app on my ipad, however due to restrictions of the iOS file system, I didn't find it fitting to my workflow and uninstalled the official app. Instead, I have some apps connected to my dropbox account (i.e. Readdle Documents, which mirrors a folder the account etc).

So my real (eventuall) inquiriy is: can I unlink the iPad now, WITHOUT loosing the connection of the 3rd party apps (ie Documents, iThoughts...) to my account?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @mirceglavni, I’ve moved your post here, since @Greg-DB's previous reply seems to answer your query. 

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to let us know. Thanks! :nerd:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mirceglavni
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This must be the fastest (and most helpful) response I have ever recieved in the world of tech 🙂

Thank you very much for the clarification, this was exactly what I was looking for. 

Regards,

Mirce

PG1954
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I tried several times to add DB to my 4th device just so that I can access my eWallet account but I kept getting messages that I had reached the 3 device limit. Since I recently purchased both a new iMac and a new iPad, I had to unlink the old devices and then add those 2 new devices. I also have DB on my iPhone. and I would like to use eWallet on my MacBook Air.

According to the DB statement, you can only keep more than 3 devices if they were already registered PRIOR to March 2019 but I acquired the 2 replacement devices and registered them with DB after April 2019 so it looks as though I can't use all 4 of my devices for DB sync with eWallet.

This is from DB FAQ page:

"If you're a Basic user and you linked more than three devices prior to March 2019, all of your previously linked devices remain linked.

However, if you'd like to link a new device (or re-link a previously linked device), you must unlink all currently linked devices (down to less than three), and then you can link your new devices (up to three)."

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    klm1 Helpful | Level 6
    PG1954 New member | Level 2
    mirceglavni New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?