cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting access to the DB account

Restricting access to the DB account

jesselias
Explorer | Level 3

I have set the 2-factor authentication (2FA) so that accessing the DB account from the DB app on a given computer where DB is installed and used (on Win10) is impossible without going through the 2FA process, but while still allowing normal use of the DB folder and sync. of course. However, it seems that accessing the account is still possible without the 2FA process. How is that? Am I missing something? Thank you. Jean-Claude.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Restricting access to the DB account

Rich
Super User II

@jesselias wrote:

However, it seems that accessing the account is still possible without the 2FA process. How is that

Two-step verification is used when signing in to your account. Anytime you're required to enter your password, you're required to go through the two-step verification process. The Dropbox application on your computer only signs in to your account once; when you first link the computer to your account. After that, it uses a stored token for authentication and no longer requires your password.

If you're concerned with someone accessing the Dropbox application on your computer and using it to gain access to your account, secure your computer with a password so only you can access it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@jesselias wrote:

However, it seems that accessing the account is still possible without the 2FA process. How is that

Two-step verification is used when signing in to your account. Anytime you're required to enter your password, you're required to go through the two-step verification process. The Dropbox application on your computer only signs in to your account once; when you first link the computer to your account. After that, it uses a stored token for authentication and no longer requires your password.

If you're concerned with someone accessing the Dropbox application on your computer and using it to gain access to your account, secure your computer with a password so only you can access it.

jesselias
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you very much for the feedback. Yes, I thought that what you suggested would be the only way... I guess I'll just rely on that.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jesselias Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?