cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox desktop client builds

Download the latest Dropbox beta or stable build.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beta Build 152.3.4855

Beta Build 152.3.4855

clientreleases
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer
Mac OS X Standard Installer (Universal) Offline Installer (Intel)
Offline Installer (Apple Silicon)
Linux x86_64 Offline Installer x86 Offline Installer

Auto-updates: Everyone who chose "Include me on early releases" on the Settings page

This is an early release feature that is subject to these additional terms.

20 Replies 20

asiufy
Collaborator | Level 8

Are we ever going to see Dropbox automatically download "online-only" content once requested by an app?

I don't want to go to the Finder and manually download files every time I need them... It's bad enough that I have to dispose (make them "online-only") manually...

I think we deserve a response, given this is an importante feature that was taken away. If this is not coming back, folks need to start looking for alternatives perhaps...

thanks.

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13

I can confirm that Dropbox does, for me, automatically download online only files when requested by a third party app. 
I don't understand Dropbox's rollout policy since there is such variation of experience and so little communication from Dropbox. 
My Dropbox folder is in ~/Library/CloudStorage/ on both my Macs but the change only happened after I uninstalled Dropbox and started from scratch. 
My understanding is that until the Dropbox folder is in the CloudStorage location auto download of online files is not going to happen with macOS12.3 or later. 
And it seems some people are having problems even then. 

asiufy
Collaborator | Level 8

Thanks for that, Michael. It's quite telling that the most helpful post on this forum on this matter does not come from Dropbox, but one of their (paid) guinea pigs.

My folder is obviously still in its original location, in my home folder. If it needs moving, why can't Dropbox do that move?

What is going on here?

OneDrive works fine, and keeps files in the user's home folder. If I have to download terabytes of data all over again, I'd definitely move to OneDrive instead.

Dropbox, please enlighten us what's going on.

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13

@asiufy wrote:

OneDrive works fine, and keeps files in the user's home folder. If I have to download terabytes of data all over again, I'd definitely move to OneDrive instead.

Do you mean that Onedrive automatically downloads on-line only files in 12.3+,  without the Onedrive folder being in ~/Library/CloudStorage/Onedrive? 

If so that does surprise me. My Onedrive folder is also in CloudStorage and works correctly with on-line only photos. 

scootermafia
Explorer | Level 4

This build and all others crash on startup with Macos Ventura beta 2.

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13

@scootermafia wrote:

This build and all others crash on startup with Macos Ventura beta 2.

Not here. 2020 M1 MBA.

scootermafia
Explorer | Level 4

It worked for a few days with beta2 before going into a crash cycle that can't be fixed with reinstalls.  Eventually yours will do that too, most likely.  

asiufy
Collaborator | Level 8

Yes, it does work perfectly, and my files are in ~/OneDrive.

That said, there *is* a ˜/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive file (or package) not folder.

Nothing from Dropbox in ˜/Library/CloudStorage though...

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13

That said, there *is* a ˜/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive file (or package) not folder.

@asiufy wrote:

Are you sure that your ~/Onedrive isn't an alias to the CloudStorage location, which is how it is on both my macs?

When the CloudStorage change has been implemented there is a new Dropbox or OneDrive item in the Locations section of Finder. This is also a shortcut to the CloudStorage folder. Dropbox did not put an alias in my user like Onedrive did. It is unnecessary because it is a duplicate of the Locations shortcut, but guess some might like it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

asiufy Collaborator | Level 8
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?