cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox desktop upload KILLS my o2 DSL connection, times out constantly (Berlin)

Dropbox desktop upload KILLS my o2 DSL connection, times out constantly (Berlin)

allandbyallo
Explorer | Level 4

Hi guys. I have o2 DSL in Berlin and have a paid Dropbox acct. About 1 year ago the desktop version uploads started KILLING my DSL connection. Once I start uploading i can't do anything else, which for small files would be fine, BUT the upload even times out constantly, sometimes just not working at all, or I have to quit DB and restart over and over to get anywhere. Download sync is better but also chokes the DSL. o2 has been less than helpful (imagine that) so has anybody else encountered this and how can i fix it? I have my upload b/w limited to: 85,000 right now.

Thanks in advance!

A

14 Replies 14

Re: Dropbox desktop upload KILLS my o2 DSL connection, times out constantly (Berlin)

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey  allandbyallo

Glad to send over some relevant steps to follow! 

Please keep in mind that you can adjust bandwidth on your desktop, so that it doesn’t interfere with your normal Internet usage. Would mind following the steps above and let me know if this helps you? 

Also, keep in mind that Dropbox can only upload and download as fast as your Internet service provider (ISP) allows. Consumer ISP's normally provide 1/10th the upload speed compared to download speed. 

Hope this helps you clarify! If you need more information about it, just let me know.  

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Dropbox desktop upload KILLS my o2 DSL connection, times out constantly (Berlin)

allandbyallo
Explorer | Level 4

Hi JaneA 🙂 Thanks in advance for your help. As I mentioned in the original post, I've already done this, with no apparent benefit. I have tried both the auto and by setting about 10kbp/s lower than my DSL upload max, and neither works. When I used the same settings in my old office, I had no problems. Only at home and it's really not good, as I'm working in graphics/audio/video and files are rather large.

Thanks again for your help and attention!

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @allandbyallo

Thanks for the clarifications!

Hmmm... because you mention that the connection could be adjusted previously through a corporate connection, though not on your home network, it appears that the issue is located on your internet provider. Have you tried contacting them regarding your connection speed? Also, have you run a speedtest? Maybe this will help you determine the cause of the latency. 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

allandbyallo
Explorer | Level 4

Hi again, JaneA. 

As I said in the original post I've tried to reach the provider about this and they basically said the same thing about upload speed cap. No help, no solutions. Again, I tried to change my settings to auto bandwidth and lower than my isp upload speed and that didn't work. This could be an issue with my isp, sure, but uploading via desktop app kills my DSL connection *INCLUDING* use by dropbbox, which gray's out in menu bar up top. basically nothing happens and it cuts my internet out. So I'm afraid the question remains: Why is dropbox killing my connection, especially when no other upload service does? I can use WeTransfer just fine, I can FTP just fine. Only Dropbox desktop app does this. When I upload via browser it's fine as well, though yes, my internet does become slower. 

mogwins
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue on my home desktop.

-Dropbox upload is slow compared to the upload speed given by Speedtest. 

- More importantly, uploading any file larger than about 10 MB completely kills my internet connection, across all devices.

- This happen regardless of the upload cap I place on Dropbox.

This does not happen with uploading data from other apps.

allandbyallo
Explorer | Level 4

doesn't seem to be an answer to this except to cap your upload speed at some insanely slow speed. i ahve it at 60k/sec right now. still totally sucks but a bit better. 

mogwins
New member | Level 2

I already had it capped quite low. But yeah, 60 k/sec does seem to help.

lsopp
New member | Level 2

OK, I have the same issue.. my ADSL is affected by both desktop dropbox and dropbox on my mobile phone wirelessly connected to the ADSL internet connection.. It is crap even when I limit the bandwidth up and down on my desktop. The mobile only has the option to turn the upload no or off, no bandwidth limiting option.. I thought I had an issue with my Internet for 2 weeks. When I finally disabled the wireless on my modem, viola, all fixed, that is when I found it was the bloody Dropbox on my mobile was causing me all the grief.  Easy to test with Speedtest.. turn Dropbox on, Internet is crap, turn Dropbox off, Internet is good!!!!  simple..

IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THIS, I WILL BE ASKING FOR MY MONEY BACK

lsopp
New member | Level 2

here is the evidence..    I forgot to pause sync when I tried to post this and of course it failed!!!! paused sync and guess what.. grrrrrrr

Dropbox sync pausedDropbox sync pausedShortly after Dropbox sync restarted, only running  50k upload and <1M download, happens consistentlyShortly after Dropbox sync restarted, only running 50k upload and <1M download, happens consistentlytraceroute with Dropbox sync on on desktop only.. crap!!!  and then when I pause the sync... all good again, repeatable every time!!!!!!traceroute with Dropbox sync on on desktop only.. crap!!! and then when I pause the sync... all good again, repeatable every time!!!!!!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lsopp New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?