cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox using (2) different Naming Conventions and Date Formats

Dropbox using (2) different Naming Conventions and Date Formats

delraybeachplasticsurgery
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

Recently Dropbox has been uploading photos with different file names and date formats. Example: some files will be named "2022-04-07 17.07.01"  and others will be named "Photo Apr 07 4 29 40". All photos were taken on the same device (iPhone). Also, all photos are uploading to multiple computers in an office, is this a syncing issue or something else? I have already gone into settings and set Date Format preferences to "YYYY-MM-DD".

Thank you 🙂 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @delraybeachplasticsurgery, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If you're using the camera upload feature, all images will have the '2022-04-07 17.07.01' format, whereas images uploaded via the manual upload feature, or by dragging and dropping, will have the original filename on them, which could be similar to the 'Photo Apr 07 4 29 40' you saw.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @delraybeachplasticsurgery, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If you're using the camera upload feature, all images will have the '2022-04-07 17.07.01' format, whereas images uploaded via the manual upload feature, or by dragging and dropping, will have the original filename on them, which could be similar to the 'Photo Apr 07 4 29 40' you saw.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

oceanside22
Explorer | Level 4

Excuse me, but you’re saying that pictures uploaded from the camera are named in a way and pictures uploaded manually from the app are named in a different way.

But we already noticed that. Can you kindly comment on the Why??

what is the logic in that? The pictures end up all out of order! It’s a mess!

is there any benefit or reason for the naming format being different? Is there an option in settings to chose wich format we want??

oceanside22
Explorer | Level 4

Please a litle help. 
I can’t find the setting to change the file name formatting. Currently my dropbox app uses something like “Photo August 17 2023 3 45 PM” but this format causes a sorting issue, as August will be listed before January. 

I would like the automatic format to be 2023 08 17. Is there a way to set this??

Can you share how do you sort your files?

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff

Hi @oceanside22,

Thanks for reaching out!

Glad to clarify about the automated name changes.

Files you add, manually, will keep whatever names they had originally. There is no automation, unlike when Camera Uploads is used, so they don't change, unless you add a custom name rule to the destination folder yourself.

You can specify a format for automating name changes in any folder you like, with the steps from here: https://help.dropbox.com/organize/naming-conventions

Hope that helps!

Calvin
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

oceanside22
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for responding. I tried this, but it only worked for uploads via dropbox.com,

when I upload via the ipad app, names are still “photo august 17 2023… “ any ideas what could be wrong?

also when I try to apply the “set naming convention” to a folder that contains folders, that option is not there, do I have to do it for each individual folder?

thanks

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @oceanside22, could you clarify again, are you using the automatic camera upload feature, or manually uploading images via the iPad?

Each folder has their own naming conventions, which aren't inherited from the parent folder. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

oceanside22
Explorer | Level 4

Manually uploading with the ipad app, names them different than uploading via dropbox.com

is there not universal setting for ALL uploads?? Seems logic. Why would we want different naming for different devices?? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Each device has their own method of saving images, even different iOS or Android devices have different naming formats for images. 

When uploading manually, the original filename from the device is kept. If you're using the camera upload feature, regardless of your device, then Dropbox would rename the file to YYYY-MM-DD HH.MM.SS (and the extension would be different based on the original file).

Jay
dropbox.com/support

oceanside22
Explorer | Level 4

“When uploading manually, the original filename from the device is kept”- This is not true, when I upload manually the file name is changed to “Photo August 17 2023” Manually is my preferred method of uploading pictures. (iphone and ipad)

“Each device has their own method of saving images, even different iOS or Android devices have different naming formats for images.”  This defeats the idea that Dropbox is a seamless solution across devices. The photos will be all messed up. You can argue that different devices have different formats, but we are uploading using the same dropbox app, wich should be able to handle all formats and “remember” the file name format my account wants.

“If you're using the camera upload feature, regardless of your device, then Dropbox would rename the file to YYYY-MM-DD HH.MM.SS.”  This is the format that I and many others want for every photo uploaded. Why should this be so difficult to implement. I already tried the “Naming convention” thing. Firts of all, it didn’t work, the convention is there, but still when uploading, the naming format remained the same as before. Second, we need to set up this formulas for each individual folder! Such a waste of time, assuming it would work, so far it hasn’t. 

The simple question is, Why can’t Dropbox, who is already renaming all my files in any folder to “August 17 2023”, rename them to “2023-08-17” instead. Why is this so difficult to set up??

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BenDBX Community Manager
    oceanside22 Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?