cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How Do I Prevent Dropbox Paper from Converting Plain Text URLs into Hyperlinks?

How Do I Prevent Dropbox Paper from Converting Plain Text URLs into Hyperlinks?

tamarawill24
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Everyone:

I was using a different file hosting service. However, I experienced recurring issues and decided to try Dropbox.

That service also has document-editing functionality which allowed me to create and edit documents online. I copied the text content from those online documents and pasted into new Dropbox Paper documents.

However, I noticed that Dropbox converted my plain text URLs into hyperlinks which shows previews of those webpages directly in my document. I was trying to convert those hyperlinks back to plain text URLs but am not able to do so. Each time I click the link it loads the webpage in a new browser tab but I do not want this to happen. I know that in Word, you can remove hyperlinks to prevent them from being clickable links and instead keep them as text. How can I fix this in Dropbox Paper?

How can I prevent Dropbox Paper from converting my text URLS into hyperlinks with webpage previews in the future? I prefer to keep them as text links so that I can copy or download the content to use in my other documents.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @tamarawill24, thanks for your post about Dropbox Paper!

At the moment, with the way Paper works, the URLs will appear as hyperlinks with previews of the linked site.

However, you're welcome to post an idea about this on our Paper idea board, for other users to upvote.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @tamarawill24, thanks for your post about Dropbox Paper!

At the moment, with the way Paper works, the URLs will appear as hyperlinks with previews of the linked site.

However, you're welcome to post an idea about this on our Paper idea board, for other users to upvote.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

tamarawill24
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Hannah:

Thank you for your quick response and for the clarification that Dropbox automatically converts all text links to hyperlinks with previews of the linked site.

I prefer to keep the text only (non-clickable) links or URLs so this means that Dropbox's document editing feature is not the right fit for me. Hence, I will continue to search for another document editing service that suits my needs. However, I can continue to use the Dropbox's storage service.

Thanks for your suggestion to post or promote my idea in Paper idea board. I will do so soon.

Best Regards

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I understand, Tamara, and thanks for getting back to me.

If you ever need anything else, make sure to give us a shout.

Have a wonderful day!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

evanhill
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, please change this functionality, no user wants their URL to automatically convert into a preview, if they wanted that, you could give them the option to expand in to a preview. At the very least give users the option NOT to have their URLs render as previews. This is terrible UI and a time waster when users have to figure out hacks to make URLs not render as previews. Please change.

evanhill
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Please enable users to choose if they want to see their URLs as previews in Paper or plain URLs. Most users want to see plain URLs. Currently there is no choice. All URLs render as previews. The only solutions are user hacks. Please enable users to turn off URL previews.

Need more support?