cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable desktop and downloads syncing (computer backup) in beta?

How to enable desktop and downloads syncing (computer backup) in beta?

neilio
Explorer | Level 4

According to this 9to5mac article the latest mac beta has support for syncing the user's desktop and downloads folders. I can't seem to find where to enable this - is this behind a feature flag for most beta testers right now?

11 Replies 11

Re: How to enable desktop and downloads syncing in beta?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @neilio; happy Monday!

As you can see in the article you linked, this feature is tagged as beta so you'll be able to access it if you've toggled the switch for 'Early releases' to on under the 'General' tab of your account's settings for now. 

If you've already done that and still don't see this feature yet, please give it some time; we're gradually rolling out to our users so it might take some time for it to appear for you. 

If you already have access to this feature, note that this is how to enable the automatic computer backup:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray or menu bar.
  2. Click your profile picture or initials, and then click Preferences.
  3. Click the Import tab, then Manage backup.
  4. Select the folders you wish to backup, click Next then follow the on screen instructions.

Note that the backups will be kept in a folder within the Dropbox folder called: My Mac (your_device's_name) or for Windows My PC (your_device's_name).

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress Neil! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

El_Macho
Explorer | Level 4

The IMPORT --> Files on this Mac box appears on one of my Macs but not on another. Both Macs are running v97.3.451. Is there anything we can do to trigger access to this option?

The instructions above aren't as helpful as they could be because it does not seem to be possible to trigger this option. Would uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox help? I've tried installing on top of the existing installation, but that does not  enable the IMPORT --> Files on this Mac box.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @El_Macho; welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the automatic computer backup feature.

It's true that reinstalling the app would help here so please give it a go and let me know the results! 

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

El_Macho
Explorer | Level 4

Reinstalling didn't work by itself. However, the following Advanced Reinstallation instructions worked perfectly:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/advanced-reinstall

Thank you so much for your help Walter!

Rich

How do I backup folders to Dropbox outside of the Dropbox folder?

davido2
New member | Level 2

So, yesterday I came across a website stating that I could setup any folder on my desktop to sync with Dropbox.  I downloaded the installer.  I was able to setup any folder to sync with dropbox.  I setup my whole D drive to sync with Dropbox.  Well, I was trying to get a good backup because my hard drive was failing.  Well, my hard drive failed.  So, I had to replace it.  (I had other good backups.  I just like to have more than one option.)  I upgraded my dropbox account to 3 TB to have enough storage to backup all of my data.  Well, now I have the new hard drive in the PC and setup Dropbox again and I don't have the option anymore to backup any folder I want to dropbox.  Doing some Googling, it sounds like I might have had a beta version of Dropbox.  I contacted Dropbox support yesterday and the agent made me sound like I was halucinating and that never happened.  Well, I'm pretty sure I was 100% coherent at the time. 

I just tried to hook my old hard drive up so I could read the files on it.  I looked in the Downloads folder and it's blank.  So, it appears it thinks it synced to Dropbox.  But, I looked in dropbox and there is no Downloads folder in Dropbox.  So, I can't get the install file from there.

So, what do I need to do to get that feature back?

Re: How do I backup folders to Dropbox outside of the Dropbox folder?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @davido2, thanks for messaging today!

It sounds like you’re referring to the automatic computer backup feature on your device. This won’t sync an entire drive to your machine, just the Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders on your machine.

Could you check what version of the Dropbox desktop application you’re running by hovering over the Dropbox icon in the system tray and let me know what it says?

Additionally, do you see any of those options on the Import page when opening the preferences of the Dropbox desktop application?

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

How to mark a specific folder to be synced outside of the "Dropbox" folder?

mileshenrichs
New member | Level 2

Hello, I'm using Dropbox on a Windows machine.  I'm wondering if there's a way to mark a specific folder outside of the "Dropbox" directory to be synced to Dropbox?  Or do all synced folders have to be located within the "Dropbox" directory?  Specifically, I'd love to automatically sync my C:\Users\miles\Documents folder without having to move it into the "Dropbox" directory.

Thank you!

Is there a way to have my Mac Folders sync with DB?

repeet
New member | Level 2

I'd like files to automatically be uploaded to DB. Such as Downloads, Documents and Desktop. Is there a way to set this up or do I need to always manually save to DB?

I have these folders (Documents, Downloads, Desktop) setup in DB. But they don't automagically update from my laptop. Is there a way to make that happen. Or do is it a process of moving or saving files to DB?

Thanks.

Re: How to mark a specific folder to be synced outside of the "Dropbox" folder?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @mileshenrichs; welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

We actually do have a new, beta feature that enables you to do exactly what you want; backup your computer's OS folders (Documents, Downloads and Desktop). 

You can see all about it in the following Help Center article:

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any follow up questions!

PS: The feature is still in its beta phase so I'd suggest to proceed with caution as your mileage may vary. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

yes_please Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropboxer
    repeet New member | Level 2
    mileshenrichs New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?