cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm out of space but I have nothing in my files. Why?

I'm out of space but I have nothing in my files. Why?

Chetter0404
Explorer | Level 3

I am getting popups saying that my Dropbox is running of our space. When I check it tells me I'm using 5.3 GB of 6.3 GB but I have virtually nothing in my files.  I have one folder that has 876 KB of data in it and that's all. Why is DB telling me I'm almost out of space?

11 Replies 11

Rich
Super User II

@Chetter0404 wrote:

I have one folder that has 876 KB of data in it and that's all. Why is DB telling me I'm almost out of space?

You must have other data in your account. Look at your Plan page. Whatever it shows for your usage is what you actually have in your account. Shared folders count against your storage so remember to account for those as well. You can see all of the files stored in your account on your Files page.

Chetter0404
Explorer | Level 3

I think I have found the problem. Somehow the Backup feature of Dropbox was activated and has been creating backup copies of some files. I am deleting the backups now and will see if this fixes the problem

Chetter0404
Explorer | Level 3

There is a file called CF Storage that is using up 5.33 GB of space. I tried to delete it but can't.

Rich
Super User II

@Chetter0404 wrote:

There is a file called CF Storage that is using up 5.33 GB of space. I tried to delete it but can't.

Is this folder within the backup folder named PC (for Windows) or Mac (for macOS)? If so, have you disabled the computer backup feature yet?

Chetter0404
Explorer | Level 3

I was able to delete the backup file and it now shows I have lots of storage room. I tried to disable the backup feature but I get an error message:

Error (500)

Something went wrong. Don't worry, your files are still safe and the Dropbox team has been notified. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Chetter0404, how are you today? 

I'm happy you managed to resolve your storage issue by deleting the file you initially mentioned. As for the Error (500) did you get it when following these steps? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Chetter0404
Explorer | Level 3

Here are some screen captures to show what I did that led to the error:

Dropbox1.PNG

Dropbox2.PNG

\Dropbox3.PNG

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Chetter0404, sorry to jump in here. 

Thanks for the screenshots you sent us. 

Have you tried to disable computer backup, using the steps here, to see if that works?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Chetter0404
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah. I brought up the preferences and clicked on the Backup tab but I don't see Manage Backup. When I click on Setup it asks me to setup backups which I don't want.

Dropbox4.PNG

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

MK47 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Chetter0404 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?