cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Folders

Re: shared folders taking up all my storage

Fluffmeister1
New member | Level 2

Thank you! That did do the trick this time. The folder I was trying to remove yesterday didn't have any names by it, so I didn't get the drop down box, but this one did.

Re: shared folders taking up all my storage

ReluctantUserJC
Helpful | Level 7
These instructions don’t work on iOS.
No options for temporary or permanent.

also I can’t tell how much space the shared folders take up. not possible in the app?

Space on Dropbox account

Lonline
Explorer | Level 3

I can't believe Dropbox is working on the following way with sharing files:

1 User has a dropbox account with many files and is sharing this with many other users.

All those users can see and download all those files.

But now it comes what I think is very strange:

All those users are using the same memory space because of all those files.

So if the head dropbox user links their 1 TB files to 100 other dropbox account, then they are all using 1 TB of space.

That is very strange, isn't it? You should think that it is all 1 time in the cloud, so not 100 times 1 TB of memory.

Is there a possibilty to solve this problem? Or another program that doesn't work this way?

Re: Space on Dropbox account

Mark
Super User II

This is how Dropbox is designed to work @Lonline  - shared folders use up the account quota of everybody involved. 

If you just need read only access ask the owner to send a shared link instead

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

No more space on my account only having access to a shared folder

francescoplaitano
New member | Level 2

Hi, I have a big problem with my Dropbox drive, because I receive an error of "no more space" in it. The problem is that actually I don't have any file in it and I'm only using it to have access to a shared folder that my company uses to share files with the workers. Honestly it is a very annoing problem, because I can't put or modify or anything else in this folder, so I don't understand why for Dropbox I reached the limit of space. 

I also use other cloud clients and I never experienced this problem with them, so I'd like to ask you if there is a method to fix this problem. 

Thank you in advance

Re: No more space on my account only having access to a shared folder

Megan
Dropboxer

Hi @francescoplaitano, welcome to our Community! 

It's important to note that shared folders take space on the sender's and recipient's Dropbox accounts. Have you checked how much space you have left on your account? 

If you've run out of space, you can have a look at all the available options you have, as Walter suggested here

If you have any questions, let me know.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Quota affected by files from external sources

PeterRic
New member | Level 2

I've noticed that my quota includes files from other external sources. For example, if a friend shares a file on Dropbox , the file appears in my Dropbox, AND affects my quota. Surely when a file is shared it doesn't appear, in a logical location, in more than one Dropbox account. It's only in the original account. Why do these files contribute to my overall quota please ?

Re: Quota affected by files from external sources

Megan
Dropboxer

Hi @PeterRic, I'd be happy to clarify! 

Shared folders, and files take up both the sender's and the recipient's space. I've merged you into this thread, that explains a similar situation as the one you described. 

if you have any questions, let me know. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

Shared Folders

Beginner_101
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I was invited to a shared project folder, with many subfolders.

This shared folder is taking up all my space on my dropbox account.

Is it possible to just sync some subfolders that I need to get files from?

If so how do I do that?

I have read a bit here on community to delete shared folders, but am afraid that I will delete all files permanently, even for the other members.

I use only dropbox web-based service.

Re: Shared Folders

Rich
Super User II

@Beginner_101 wrote:

This shared folder is taking up all my space on my dropbox account. Is it possible to just sync some subfolders that I need to get files from?

No, that's not possible. You need enough space in your account to hold the entire shared folder. There's no option to sync just a portion of it.

If you only need to view or download the files, and don't need to edit or upload other content to the folder, ask the owner to send you a shared link instead. You'll be able to view and/or download just the files you need, and the folder doesn't get added to your account (unless you choose to add it).

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Need more support?